Images of Victorian Generals

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: Images of Victorian Generals

Postby Mark » 18 Dec 2015 12:21

Will Mathieson wrote:Twenty eight Generals from the book Transvaal War Album. I have photographed them but too large over 1 MiB.
I could email the photos to you as it takes too long on my computer to downsize them since it's size then pixels, just not computer saavy enough. Most if not all of these generals were at the rank before the Boer War.

Yes, please feel free to email them to me and I can do the resizing etc.

Mark :)
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Images of Victorian Generals

Postby Mark A. Reid » 20 Dec 2015 22:30

Hello again;

I had expected this thread to be inundated with images of Northern and Southern generals, or perhaps conquerors of Fort Dybbol, the Alamo, Madagascar, etc. but so far ...?

In the hope that another be-tarboushed figure might stimulate more interest, I offer another general of the Ottoman Empire, Gazi Osman Pasha, The Defender of Plevna. A career soldier, he was promoted for bravery during the Crimean War and went on to serve as a staff officer in the disasterous Yemen War of 1862. During 1870-71 he helped quell rebellion in Yemen then went on to fight in the controversial Serbian revolt of 1876.

But it was during the Russo-Turkish War in 1877 that he rocketed to fame as the officer ordered to stop the Russians at Plevna. Only expected to hold his position for a few weeks, he so inspired his garrison that they repelled the combined Russian/Bulgarian/Roumanian armies for five months. With his starving troops shivering in rags, he led them in an attempted final breakout by night in which he was wounded and eventually carried in to offer his sword in surrender. Although the war had started with most of western Europe supporting the struggle of subjugated Christians against the " Unspeakable Turk, " the spirited defence and dignified surrender of the Ottoman general, made Osman Pasha an international hero.

With his sword returned to him by a chivalrous foe, he continued to serve his country as Minister of War until his death at 68, by which time he had been honoured with the additional name of Gazi, an honourific title meaning Warrior.

Quite the array of orders and medals too!

Chers,

Mark
Attachments
Ottoman GhaziOsmanPasha.jpg
Ottoman GhaziOsmanPasha.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat