Schooling for 'army children'

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Schooling for 'army children'

Postby David Lea » 30 Aug 2015 11:25

My 2 x Gt Grandfather, Thomas Hassett, served with the 35th and 34th Regiment of Foot between 1836 and 1857. He was discharged for 'being worn out through length of service'. His discharge papers state his intended place of residence was his home town of Doneraile, Co Cork, Ireland.

I do know the family later moved to Co Cavan before moving back to England and settling in Lancashire.

I have found 2 transcript records on Findmypast relating to 2 of his children and their schooling in Dublin in 1862/63. (The birth dates / places of the children are accurate, so I'm happy these are definitely his children).

The Source on FMP is given as the 'Royal Hibernian Military Schools admissions 1847-1932' and the Record set 'British Army schoolchildren and schoolmasters 1803-1932'.

It further states...

Height 3ft 11in
Weight 3st 13lb
Chest size 24.5
Trade/occupation Tailor
Father's county regiment Cumberland Regt
Father's regiment 34th Regt of Foot
Notes Army Volunteer
Place Dublin

I am trying to interpret the records and have a few queries...

1. Thomas was discharged from the army in 1857... does this suggest he re-enlisted as a volunteer and travelled with his former regiment?
2. If he didn't re-enlist as a volunteer, where his children still entitled to go to an army school by virtue of his former army service?
3. Does the reference to a 'tailor' apply to the father or the school child? I'm presuming father mainly because I can't imagine a 9 yr old being a 'tailor'?!

Many thanks in anticipation.

David
David Lea

Re: Schooling for 'army children'

Postby Maureene » 30 Aug 2015 23:21

I can't directly answer your questions, however the FIBIS Fibiwiki has a page "Duke of York's Military School", which contains some links which may provide background information.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Duke_of ... ary_School

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby David Lea » 31 Aug 2015 18:16

Many thanks Maureen for your info and useful link, I'll do some delving and see what I can find.

Incidentally, I have since found some military records for one of Thomas's children who attended this school, he 'joined up' aged years and on his service papers, was described as a 'tailor', so perhaps the school references to him and his younger sibling being tailors, does apply to them and not their father as I initially suspected.

Thanks again for your help.

David
David Lea

Postby Frogsmile » 31 Aug 2015 20:35

You can learn a lot regarding the education of Army schoolchildren through The Army Children Archive (TACA), here: http://www.archhistory.co.uk/taca/home.html

He would have been able to apply for his children to be admitted if he fell on hard times after completing a full career with the Army, especially if the children's mother had died.

As well as a basic education, the children were often admitted to receive certain trade training with a view to this being of later use to the Army. The common trades were tailoring and shoe making, but there were also opportunities to learn a musical instrument.

Many but not all the children would then later join the Army as boy entrants and continue with their trade. There is a separate thread on 'boy soldiers'.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby David Lea » 01 Sep 2015 10:14

Many thanks Frogsmile for the info and useful link, I've had a quick look and it looks very informative, I'll spend a bit more time reading through it in detail.

The reference you make to the children learning useful trades ie tailoring could well explain why a 9 year old is shown as a 'tailor', I hadn't realized that such trades would be taught in school.

Many thanks again for your help.

David
David Lea

Postby David Lea » 01 Sep 2015 17:44

Just out of interest, I've seen from the above website that a book has been written in 2011 re the history of the Hibernian Military School - A New History of the Royal Hibernian Military School Phoenix Park Dublin (1765-1924) (Paperback) by Howard Robert Clarke - looks like a good read! Going to order it from the library!
David Lea

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat