Victorian Military Movies

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: Victorian Military Movies

Postby jf42 » 05 Jun 2012 09:20

Well, now I know!

As it was I who set off that brief feu de joie, I should like to explain that I was, indeed, not only surprised but momentarily upset at seeing my post censored because I find using asterisks that fail to disguise a word whose identity we probably all know a rather pointless nod to propriety. It's something I really don't hold with. Know your audience and either use the word or don't. Hence my wishing to distance myself from the final form that my post took. I recommend development of a filter warning feature which would at least allow a poster to re-draft.

In this case, the vigilant software has rendered ambiguous the line of dialogue I quoted and robbed it of its original power which is a shame, but, of course, once the speaker is identified as Australian, I imagine anyone could instantly guess which of the two likely candidate words (Clue: neither of them was "blighter") was being used; being used in a context, moreover, where the word is regularly used as much as a term of affection as it is as an insult, if not more so.

Can we not be trusted to be use our discretion? I hardly think the word used, quoted, as you rightly observed, Mark, in a particular context, could have caused offence in its un-alloyed form.

Strange, how we can discuss drummer boys being dis-embowelled and soldiers being blown from the muzzles of cannon and yet, the use of an honest English word denoting illegitimate birth, which was once an indelicate subject for the bourgeoisie and hence could be used as an jocular insult in the context of 100 years ago, should make a piece of software squeamish.

It would be hell on a Mediaeval history website: certain characters, swords, siege engines and second-rate wines would all be bowdlerised - which prompts me to close by quoting William Shakespeare:

"Well, my legitimate, if this letter speed,
And my invention thrive, Edmund the base
Shall top the legitimate. I grow; I prosper:
Now, gods, stand up for b-astards!"
("King Lear", I.ii)
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Liz » 05 Jun 2012 10:04

The profanity filter is a standard feature of many sites. It is there manage the risk of potentially offensive content, and the associated risk of the website being 'blacklisted' by ISPs/netfilters, the owner sued etc.

Since it is Mark's website, I support Mark's right to put a filter in place to reduce that risk. He has invested a significant amount of time and energy into this forum, and continues to do so to keep the forum spam- and bug-free.

Personally I think Mark deserves bouquets rather than brickbats and other words beginning with B.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby jf42 » 05 Jun 2012 10:44

I wouldn't question that last sentiment for a second; indeed would second it. I would only suggest that the filter is turned up too high. Surely b****** might be acceptable whereas b***** might not. (How many of you are counting on your fingers, right now?)

As it is, I shall remove the portion of the original post that was censored as it is not what I wrote and looks a bit fatuous.

Peace and love.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark » 05 Jun 2012 16:15

As Liz has pointed out we have to consider the wider implications of allowing profanity on this board. While the posted word was done so in proper context and highly unlikely to offend members the automated software used by ISPs and filtering services on the web will not distinguish between what is meant offensively and what is not. As with search engines who share their database of URLs so do servers that blacklist sites and one can quickly find one's site blocked for certain users. Some members have young children and so employ child filtering to their internet feed - this could render them unable to access the site without first turning it off and thus become an inconvenience every time they want to log in. Interestingly I received a PM yesterday from a member who asked for the filters to remain in place - so who do I upset by making the decision to turn it off or keep it on?

On balance it is perhaps wise to keep the filters in place. Of course one bad word isn't going to lead the above to happen but if we open the flood gates is there potential for the posting of profanity to grow over the years the forums exist to a point it causes us issues? In the past we have also had spammers get onto the forum who have posted some pretty awful stuff and despite what we do the risk of the odd spammer getting through is always there. One thing the profanity filters have done is filter certain words out when this has hapened and thus reduces the risk of us being listed as a site with warnings attached!

The issue of trusting members is not an issue either. Filtering sotware doesn't understand in what context a swear word might be used and thus whether it is offensive or not. It is sometimes hard enough for humans to determine what is sometimes meant to be offensive or not so multiple lines of software code has no chance! As far as I know no software modifications for this particular type of forum exists to warn a member about profanity before posting it only then to allow said member to ignore the warning and post it - that does kind of defeat the prupose of it anyway. That said I have come across software that will ask a user if the image they are about to post is suitable for children or not and to mark it as such before posting. However, that will just make life easier for the servers which blacklist sites to do so.

It is interesting that mention is made of being allowed to talk about drummer boys being disembowled but not the use of swear words. Interesting because I work in education (and ironically also in law enforecment) and you can teach kids all day about horrible histories, Henry VIII beheading his wives, Guy Fawkes being tortured and quartered but you begin using swear words in your lessons you are out of a job!

An Australian friend of mine tells me thet 'B' word is used quite normally in his country and does not offend. However, here in the UK it is considered unpleasent and often offensive. So there are also cultural issues, be they often very minor, to consider with an international membership.

Managing a forum is not easy, whether you are the owner, Administrator or a moderator. So much has to be considred and whatever decision you take someone will not be 100% happy. We do our best and sometimes I really do need members to trust us to do what is right for the forum whether you think it obsurd or petty or not.

Mark

PLEASE CAN WE GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC OF THIS THREAD NOW?
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark A. Reid » 05 Jun 2012 21:57

Hello All;

I can't say that I really recommend it, but I saw an unusual film recently that might be of interest to other members. It's a 1953 " epic " entitled Rogue's March and stars Peter Lawford, Richard Greene ( of Sherwood Forest fame ) and many other familiar faces. Borrowing some plot from the more familiar Four Feathers tale, the movie recounts the adventures of a young officer who appears to blot his copybook and then enlists as a Private in order to regain his reputation, the love of his sweetheart and, didn't I mention it, the security of the British Empire.

The film almost seems to have been made in two parts with the first taking place on sets and the second part filmed in what appears to be India, or perhaps India-Light, as produced in the Hollywood Hills? The main appeal is in the uniforms and sets, however. Some of the confections worn are sure to raise a laugh ( such as the helmet plate mounted on the forage cap) but most of the uniforms that appear in " India " seem remarkably accurate, at least to this untrained, Egypt-centric eye. The uniforms ( ! ) worn in the court martial scene are sure to provide plenty of entertainment to uniform afficionados with the mixture of coatees, cocked hats and Undress items. Later in the film, however, the overall look of the 1890's barrack room seems pretty good and is, of course, full of chirpy Cockneys and slow-witted Irishmen ( Begorra! )

As I mentioned, not a great film but certainly one to entertain people " like us. " My apologies if someone else has already mentioned this cinematic saga before.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 05 Jun 2012 23:02

Hi Mark

To my shame I have never seen or heard of Rogue's March before. If I can get hold of a copy I will let you know what I think.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark A. Reid » 06 Jun 2012 03:47

Hello Mark ( strange name! )

Still images from the film can be viewed on various websites but even Frogsmile, with a complete set of Dress Regulations, and the ghost of Bill Carman leaning over his shoulder, would be hard pressed to identify the " uniforms " and regiments! It would be a great film to show at a VMF convention ... ? Now there's an idea!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 06 Jun 2012 12:45

A VWF convention? Yes that is quite a thought! Maybe a get together at a militaria fair one day? Perhaps members could organise them in their own countries?

As to the movie I guess the wardrobe departments were not always overly concerned with accuracy back then. That said some more recent movies haven't done a particulary good either :shock:

I won't mention Dr Watson's medals and attire in the last Sherlock Holmes movie...

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 08 Jun 2012 02:41

Unfortunately Khartoum is no longer available on Netflix in the USA. However, a new (old) film is now available--"Khyber Patrol" (1954).
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 08 Jun 2012 15:27

Jonathan wrote:Unfortunately Khartoum is no longer available on Netflix in the USA. However, a new (old) film is now available--"Khyber Patrol" (1954).

I didn't realise Netflix took moves off their list. Still somewhat new here in the UK so I am not 100% sure how they operate.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 08 Jun 2012 15:43

It depends on their agreements with various studios, I guess. Sometimes availability is tied to whether or not the movie or program is running on television. For example, Netflix stream James Bond movies only when there is a marathon on television. To be honest it does not make a lot of sense to me. I suggest Googling for more information. It is not something that happens frequently to movies and TV shows that I watch, but when it does happen it can be quite frustrating. I started "Khartoum" one night, got half way through, and intended to finish it the next day only to find that it had been removed. I wish everything could be streamed--it is much more convenient than DVD.

I watched "Khyber Patrol" last night. It is complete fiction, but it was pretty fun for an early 1950s B movie. One thing that bugged me is that they never resolved who was spying on the British and sending notes to the devious Ishak Khan. I suspect Col. Rivington. :) It is always hilarious to me when they cast American actors as British officers and they make no attempt to hide their American accents. The usual excuse is that they are Canadians serving in the British Army. :lol:
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Darrell » 08 Jun 2012 21:15

Mark wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Has anyone seen the BBC series "Rhodes" on Cecil Rhodes? I recall hearing about it at some point in the mid to late 1990s, but it never aired here in the States.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Jonathan

Yes I certainly have and it is an extremely good series - well worth watching.

It was available on DVD in the UK and a quick search of Amazon.co.uk shows the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhodes-Box-Set- ... B000057THO

Mark

VHS? These guys need to get with the 21st Century.
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 08 Jun 2012 21:28

I didn't even know you could still buy VHS from Amazon! :shock:

The 1996 series Rhodes was good though!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 08 Jun 2012 21:30

Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby saw119 » 11 Aug 2012 17:59

Ok, so it just falls outside of our timeframe as it starts in 1901 but the wife and I have really been enjoying Reilly - Ace of Spies the 1983 British TV drama. It's 12 episodes long and covers espionage in the immediate post Vicotrian period. I personally think alot of you will like it very much.
saw119

PreviousNext

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat