Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Judy O'Grady » 27 Dec 2016 02:05

I am looking for information about the Alfred and the Patrician, two troop ships that left Cork Harbour in the summer of 1864 carrying officers, other ranks, women, and children of the 58th Regiment of the Foot and bound for Calcutta. Lots of information found on other troop ships but not so much on these two. The Patrician arrived in Calcutta Oct. 28, 1864 and the Alfred arrived Jan. 23, 1865. The log of the Alfred is housed at the British Library but the ink is very faded and difficult to read. Any information on these two ships would be welcomed as would images.
Thanks in advance,
Judy O'Grady
Judy O'Grady
New Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 23 Dec 2014 06:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby crimea1854 » 30 Dec 2016 17:51

Judy

There are three ships named Patrician in Lloyds Register of Shipping for 1864, I suspect it is either 2 or 3, but my money would be on 3. http://www.archive.org/stream/lloydsregisters37unkngoog#page/n366/mode/2up

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 917
Joined: 05 Jul 2008 08:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Judy O'Grady » 31 Dec 2016 06:02

Hello Martin
Your tip was extraordinarily helpful. Thank you so much. I found entries for the Alfred (11) and the Patrician (3) but only 3 ships were bound for India in 1864-1865 so it narrowed the field. I wonder if you know anything about felt being used as a building material for ships. In each case it was paired with yellow metal sheathing, once partially and once with copper fastenings.
With appreciation,
Judy O' Grady
Judy O'Grady
New Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 23 Dec 2014 06:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby crimea1854 » 31 Dec 2016 13:49

Copper was used to clad below the waterline of timber ships to protect the hull from wood boring insects and weed. Because of the galvanic corrosion set up between different metals when exposed to moisture, particularly copper, I suspect this is why there was the use of copper fastenings, but I might be completely off beam here, if you forgive the navy pun!

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 917
Joined: 05 Jul 2008 08:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Maureene » 01 Jan 2017 03:29

Judy O' Grady, you perhaps are more interested in the actual ships, rather than the voyages, but if anyone is interested in the general background, there is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page Trooping season, which also has some information about troopships.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Trooping_season.

Even though the Suez Canal was not opened until 1869, the Overland route became much more common after the Indian Mutiny, but troops had to change ship at both ends of what became the Suez Canal.

The voyages you mention appear to have been around the Cape of Good Hope as they sailed all the way in the same ship - perhaps this was because they sailed from Ireland?

There is mention in the link following, under Passengers Arrived, of the officers of the left wing of HM's 58th Regiment arriving in Bombay, but no date, but presumably prior to the 7th January 1865 (Date mentioned in the item above Passengers Arrived)
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Y2 ... J&pg=PA141
Allen's Indian Mail 1865, page 137
(more online editions of Allen's Indian Mail in the Fibiwiki page Newspapers and journals online http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Newspap ... ndian_Mail}

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 782
Joined: 02 Aug 2011 07:33

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Judy O'Grady » 25 Jan 2017 06:50

Dear Maureen,
Thank you for your links. I was fascinated to read that the Alfred arrived in Bombay with the left wing of the 58th. The right wing arrived through Calcutta in November 1864 just after a major storm damaged the city. I had presumed the Alfred also came through Calcutta.
Much appreciated,
Judy O' Grady
Judy O'Grady
New Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 23 Dec 2014 06:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Judy O'Grady » 25 Jan 2017 06:55

crimea1854 wrote:Copper was used to clad below the waterline of timber ships to protect the hull from wood boring insects and weed. Because of the galvanic corrosion set up between different metals when exposed to moisture, particularly copper, I suspect this is why there was the use of copper fastenings, but I might be completely off beam here, if you forgive the navy pun!

Martin


Dear Martin
I have been reading about metaled ships and appreciate notes. Oddly enough, I can find no references to "felt" in the description of the ship's hull and no-one has commented on it. Still a bit of a mystery.
With best regards
Judy O' Grady
Judy O'Grady
New Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 23 Dec 2014 06:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Judy O'Grady » 25 Jan 2017 06:59

crimea1854 wrote:Judy

There are three ships named Patrician in Lloyds Register of Shipping for 1864, I suspect it is either 2 or 3, but my money would be on 3. http://www.archive.org/stream/lloydsregisters37unkngoog#page/n366/mode/2up

Martin


Dear Martin
This is a great link. More recently I have been trying to find a similar reference on ships sailing in 1885. Is this something you might be able to help me with? I am looking specifically for The Florida.
With best regards,
Judy O' Grady
Judy O'Grady
New Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 23 Dec 2014 06:39

Re: Troopships to the East Indies 1864-1865

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Jan 2017 18:47

Judy O'Grady wrote:
crimea1854 wrote:Judy

There are three ships named Patrician in Lloyds Register of Shipping for 1864, I suspect it is either 2 or 3, but my money would be on 3. http://www.archive.org/stream/lloydsregisters37unkngoog#page/n366/mode/2up

Martin


Dear Martin
This is a great link. More recently I have been trying to find a similar reference on ships sailing in 1885. Is this something you might be able to help me with? I am looking specifically for The Florida.
With best regards,
Judy O' Grady


What is the context Judy? There was a SS 'State of Florida' renamed from 'Queen Margaret' circa 1880 and lost in 1884, when it was regularly plying the trans-Atlantic route: http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?32113
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4776
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England


Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest