SOLD Martini Henry Mk II 1876 rifle for sale ex S. Africa

Advertise items for sale or wanted here.

SOLD Martini Henry Mk II 1876 rifle for sale ex S. Africa

Postby RobD » 10 Apr 2016 17:47

SOLD
For sale, a Mk II Martini-Henry infantry rifle from South Africa. May well have have seen service in the Cape Frontier War of 1878 or the Anglo Zulu War 1879 and almost certainly in the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902. Built in Enfield in 1876, it has Cape Government marks on the receiver. It was re-issued from Birmingham in 1894 for the Boer War as a cat. 2 weapon, issued to non-white troops (typically for blockhouse guard duty etc). As such it has the brass stock disc, extra sling swivel in the butt, and the cat. 2 stamps on butt and receiver. Not re-finished - the wood and metal is still original finish or patina. This rifle was imported into the UK recently; because the barrel had been shortened by about 2 inches, I have now re-barrelled it with another 1870s Mk II MH barrel. I can provide the original (shortened) barrel if desired at no extra cost. It lacks the cleaning rod and sling, both of which I can source without difficulty. It is an obsolete calibre rifle (.577/.450) and in the UK no papers are needed to own this rifle. I can also provide one or more inert (dummy) rounds if required. Mechanically, all parts of the action are complete and in excellent condition, and this rifle cocks and dry fires normally. £700. Will ship within UK for additional £12.
SOLD
Attachments
MH4c.jpg
MH4c.jpg (170.97 KiB) Viewed 281 times
MH3c.jpg
MH3c.jpg (331.61 KiB) Viewed 281 times
MH2c.jpg
MH2c.jpg (241.18 KiB) Viewed 281 times
MH1c.jpg
MH1c.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 281 times
RobD
Participating Member