Wanted : Lee Metford MkI magazine

Advertise items for sale or wanted here.

Wanted : Lee Metford MkI magazine

Postby fross » 16 Apr 2015 21:55

Hi there
I am looking for a single-stack, 8-rounds Lee Metford MkI or MkI* mag (not double stack 10-rd MkII mag). Original or repo (if exists)

All help will be appreciated. :wink:
Warmest regards

Francois
fross

Re: Wanted : Lee Metford MkI magazine

Postby timothylrose » 17 Apr 2015 11:02

Francois - try Gunbroker.com and a few of the other internet forums - don't hold your breathe it took me 18 months to track down one for my Lee Met and it came from New Zealand - good hunting - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby fross » 17 Apr 2015 14:47

Hello Tim

I daily seek on gunbroker and ebay.co.uk.
And I posted a WTB request on gunboards forum.
I know that it's going to be a long quest to find one... and pricey too, no?
Yours came from NZ, but where are you? UK?

Francois
fross

Postby timothylrose » 17 Apr 2015 16:25

I am UK based bought my Lee Met for £40 missing a number of parts and rebuilt it over a long period of time mine wasn't that expensive (but it did cost more than the rifle itself) - I'll keep an eye open over here as bits do come my way every so often - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby fross » 17 Apr 2015 18:56

Thank you very much Tim.
I have a totally original Enfield 1891 MkI* MLM which is under a total restoration job.
It has been forsaken in an attic for nearly 100 years.
As you can imagine, it's very dirty and rusty (light surface rust only) but complete except the mag, the sling and the front long range sight lever knob (but the rifle still has its foresight protector).
Excellent shape / shining Metford rifling.
It was a Territorial 10th bataillon of Manchester regiment rifle.

François
fross

Postby fross » 22 Apr 2015 07:44

According to a gunboards forum member, there is an anomaly on the butt disk : in april 1894, the 10th territorial battalion didn't exist yet and was the 6th volunteers.
So, only a two-times stamping of the butt disk can be plausible. A first time in 1894 : '4.94' and '855'.
Then in 1908, 'T' and '10 MAN'.
What do you think about?

Here's some pics of the rifle when I got it (by now, the restoration has begun).

The macaroon, after cleaning the butt stock :
Top of marking is erased, but I suppose that it's written 'Birmingham'.
On the butt stock, it noticed some '93 markings so I suppose that this stock is original to the rifle.
Why 1900? Can '1900' be the marking of a general refurbishment in Birmingham?

Francois
fross

Postby rd72 » 22 Apr 2015 18:30

Francois,

This looks like a great project. You will be most pleased with the final outcome. They are a pleasure to shoot. Loading the mag efficiently takes a bit of practice, especially after the 6th or 7th round...I was looking at the front sight and was wondering,.... It looks like it has a protector on it... Any chance of taking a quick photo of it?

Here is mine... It is rebuilt and is in fantastic shape.

I was very lucky to come by it... and have had great enjoyment from shooting it.

Best of luck in finding a mag... I will keep my eyes open for one.
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby fross » 22 Apr 2015 19:46

Your MTM is like new. Is the butt-stock original? :shock:

For the front sight protector, yes, it was on the rifle when I got it. A little bit welded by the rust... :mrgreen:

By now, it's under restoration, so not very photogenic :
Image Image

Here is a picture of the same, but in a mint shape (internet picture) :
It's a non-removable sight protector(*). It slides away from the sight blade.
Push forward to disengage the sight base and turn the protector on the right side.
On the 2nd picture, the movement isn't over. The sight protector must be pulled back to engage the front notch onto the sight base and thus preventing a non-desired turn back on the left, blocking the sight view.

(*) it's removable with a tool like a flat screwdriver but I think it was forbidden for a lambda soldier.

As the first model of sight protector for the MLM is totally different (a brass muzzle cap)... isn't this one a sight protector for long Lee Enfields, Lee speed or CLLE? And retro-fitted to a good ol' MLM? :wink:

François

PS : sorry for my english, it's an abomination. Just hope that you understand me. :?
fross

Postby rd72 » 22 Apr 2015 20:20

Francois,

Your English is certainly not an abomination.... Shall I try French?...... :-)

The wood is not original... The rifle was in worse condition than yours when initially acquired some time ago by another gentleman and the wood was beyond repair.. My rifle may not have what you might call "collector" provenance but has droves of it in the context of shooting... That's why I got it. Most of the details are quite correct. It has the square hand guard and the safety still fitted. It did, however, have an Enfield barrel with barleycorn sight, properly headspaced, fitted as part of it's restoration.

So in actual fact what I have is a Mk I MLM with new wood and a new barrel... A great shooter that is, for all but the most ardent collector (which I am not), an example of the first pattern of magazine rifle.
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby fross » 22 Apr 2015 20:45

I didn't notice that you have a MkI non-modified *. :o Congrats, it's the first one that I see, even in picture.

Mine still has its metford barrel and surprinsingly, the bore really shines like a mirror.
Underneath, the barrel is stamped : A.BAKER. Do you know what this stamp mean?
On the bad side, the long range sight pointer is missing its knob, the hanguard is broken and as you know, I'm still looking for a magazine... and now a buff sling.
But restoring a so scarce rifle around here, it's a true challenge. And a real pleasure.

Francois
fross

Postby rd72 » 22 Apr 2015 21:00

"Baker" probably refers to the barrel manufacturer. Is your hand guard just split or beyond repair? As for a sling, you can make one fairly easily... I did just that for my Martini... (same pattern sling). Finding an original one in useable condition may be a bit difficult.

Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby fross » 22 Apr 2015 21:10

My handguard is split and a part of wood is missing.
I will carry it to a carpenter to get it repaired. I know a good one who helped me in the past to restore the butt of a 1898 US Krag Jorgensen.

For the sling, I agree, just have to find the correct leather. :wink:

The blueing on your rifles is wonderful. A professional job?

François
fross

Postby fross » 20 May 2015 20:52

Hello...

Still looking for a magazine :wink:

A picture of my restored Lee metford MKI*
Attachments
lee.JPG
lee.JPG (92.32 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
fross

Postby RobD » 20 May 2015 23:16

Fross, PM me - I may be able to help
Rob
RobD
Participating Member

Postby NZEF1945 » 10 Sep 2015 21:26

I note that you are searching for a Lee Metford 8 shot magazine. I have recently purchased a .303 cal rifle from a local sports shop and yes it was a MkI lee Metford converted to MkI*
I do not collect cut down firearms and merely purchased it for parts investment - the receiver - stock - bolt (complete) and magazine are all original and I will be selling all together hopefully. My intention at this point is to place the parts into a NZ auction but I do have a value in mind which I will accept. If you wish to make me an offer and I can find out legalities of sending off shore then maybe we could come to an arrangement.
NZEF1945

Next

Return to British Victorian Militaria for Sale or Wanted