Online Irish Barracks Maps and Plans

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

Online Irish Barracks Maps and Plans

Postby Maureene » 17 Aug 2014 03:55

From the website Military Archives, Defence Forces, Ireland

"The Irish Military Barracks Maps, Plans and Drawings Collection is a unique collection pertaining to the construction and maintenance of military barracks in Ireland from c.1830 to c 1980. The collection contains many previously unseen architectural drawings from the British War Office, the Royal Engineer Corps, the Ordnance Survey and latterly the (Irish) Defence Forces Engineer Corps.

From a total collection of approximately 4,000 architectural maps, plans and drawings of military installations throughout the island of Ireland that we are digitising, the first 650 are now available on this page".
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/en/colle ... collection

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Re: Online Irish Barracks Maps and Plans

Postby Frogsmile » 11 Sep 2015 20:30

Only just saw this Maureen. Thanks for posting. I have always been interested in barracks, in which I lived for longer than was psychologically healthy (I have since been advised). Nearly cried when I learned that the MOD had decided to demolish TIDWORTH garrison (where I was based for much of the 70s) which they had the doable option of refurbishing (to do with cost of plumbing apparently). I went to see what they replaced it with. Reminded me of the film set for the UK soap opera 'Hollyoaks'. Nothing like a proper barracks, they didn't even build in straight lines, all cul-de-sacs and roundabouts!
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials