Suggestions for New Books

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

Suggestions for New Books

Postby Mark » 13 Oct 2012 13:06

For the benefit of authors (and budding authors) what subjects/topics, related to our period of interest, would you like to see new books cover in the future?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Suggestions for New Books

Postby MAMC » 18 Jan 2013 19:48

To kick start interest in the Old Indian Army we need books with a modern approach....
New treatment of Regimental/general histories with colour uniform plates....
I would also like to see photographic military books of the Raj in high quality photographs (this material is there a plenty to be dug out)....
"LORD FORGIVE THREE SINS............
MAMC

Postby Frogsmile » 19 Jan 2013 17:51

I would like to see the following books:

1. Undress uniforms of the British Army (covering specifically all patterns of Patrol Jacket, Frocks, Frock Coats and Blue Patrols and associated head dress, netherwear and footwear).
2. Staff Cap Badges of British Regiments, Corps and Departments (as worn by Staff Serjeants).
3. Bandsmens' and Drummers' Pouch Badges of British Regiments and Corps.
4. Uniforms of the Corps and Departments of the British Army 1836 to 1914 (Full Dress and Undress - AOC, ASC, AVC, RAMC, SASch, AGymS, RAChD - and their forebears).
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby sjwalker51 » 20 Dec 2013 15:49

I'm bound to say, a biography of Charles Norris-Newman ("Noggs") would be great.
sjwalker51
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 04 Jun 2014 14:55

I would like to see a book (or series of books) dedicated to the three China wars of the 19th-Century. There appears to be a lack of books on these wars currently available on the market.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Harold Raugh » 28 Mar 2015 18:34

The best way to see a new, interesting, and comprehensive book on your favorite Victorian military history topic is -- to write it!

Good luck,
Harold Raugh
Harold Raugh

Postby Josh&Historyland » 28 Mar 2015 19:58

The army in New Zealand and Australia would be fascinating I think.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby MattG » 28 Mar 2015 22:12

Forgive me the basic question, but I'm wondering how publishers interet is extracted sufficiently for some of such titles?

I have been very interested in the RAChD for years, and I collected quite a considerable amount of uniform and photographs, period pics and badges etc and I've been looking into their dress, and even trying to combine that with equipment, background etc there's no interest frm the publishers I approached for a "general" small volume. I've given up ;) There's been several texts on the Department historically, quite learned [and occasionally dry] within the last decade but these all relate to the actual background history. "C'est la guerre" I guess.

The most difficult, and dare I say 'annoying' must be when two [or more] books come out on a very similar topic at around the same time Somewhere surely there has to be a whispered 'If only I'd known'..? Or do rivalries and egos preclude co-operation?

I'd like to see something on the NW Frontier, breaking down the various campaigns, with period maps overlaid onto modern mapping. Also something on the Narrow gauge railway development in the Sudan. Has anyone done anything modern on the Mountain Batteries?

May I echo photographic books on campaigns in the Raj. I see the mention that "this material is out there plenty to be dug out". Where to dig..???

Is there any merit on a thread details future projects people are already working on?
MattG

Postby Stuart_Bates » 29 Mar 2015 01:59

I agree with MattG in that it is next to impossible to get a publishing house to take up the suggested, sometimes rather niche, subjects from "unknown" authors.

The other options are -

1. self-publishing via Print on Demand
2. self-publishing through traditional printing (very expensive)

Of the four books that I have written or edited both methods were employed. If you take the "traditional" approach then you have to worry about shipping costs/import costs and finding distributors willing to take on your book.

Amazon seems to be a worthy approach for POD as one gets the worldwide distribution etc.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby acanthus » 29 Mar 2015 23:30

Hi Mark,

I've been working on my own project for some years now, and this involves the subject of swords, strong focus on EIC and Indian Army cavalry, also touching on infantry swords where needs be; with some comparative work on British 1821 Heavy Cavalry hilts and blades.

Also including some detailed regimental information on the Scinde Horse, Scinde Camel Corps, 5th Punjab Cavalry, Corps of Guides, with discussion on associated swords and hilt types etc.

Special sections on the Indian irregular cavalry sword hilt and the steel version of 1857 Engineers pattern , both of which have the same type of guard.

Sword information including sections on Charles Reeves, Henry Wilkinson, Garden & Son, Robert Spring Garden, special pattern cavalry hilts and blade types; Indian Troopers swords blades and scabbards, and non-regulation combat swords, etc., etc.

Extensive biographical section (at the moment) containing information on nineteen different officers and their swords. All are arranged by date of first commission, the earliest being 1835 the latest 188o. Apart from some with earlier commission dates that are EIC, the greater majority of the officers concerned are Indian Army.

Also including appendix sections etc., etc., etc.
acanthus

Postby Jayslater » 30 Apr 2015 14:20

Gentlemen,

If you should have a book idea, please do get in touch: j.slater@fonthillmedia.com.

With very best wishes,

Jay
Jayslater

Postby Mark » 01 May 2015 11:08

Harold Raugh wrote:The best way to see a new, interesting, and comprehensive book on your favorite Victorian military history topic is -- to write it!

Good luck,
Harold Raugh

Very true, and exactly what I have done. Fingers crossed it will be published in the not too distant future.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Poltroon » 21 Jan 2017 11:07

Those interested in the personalities involved in the Great Game may like Sikunder Burnes: Master of the Great Game by Craig Murray. It's a long overdue in-depth account of the life (and tragic death) of Alexander Burnes, one of the most forceful and influential British administrators in Afghanistan.

https://www.amazon.com/Sikunder-Burnes- ... 163&sr=1-1

Poltroon

Postby Mark » 23 Jan 2017 10:11

Poltroon wrote:Those interested in the personalities involved in the Great Game may like Sikunder Burnes: Master of the Great Game by Craig Murray. It's a long overdue in-depth account of the life (and tragic death) of Alexander Burnes, one of the most forceful and influential British administrators in Afghanistan.

https://www.amazon.com/Sikunder-Burnes- ... 163&sr=1-1

Looks like I will be ordering a copy of this one! Thanks for the heads-up :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Derbys » 23 Jan 2017 16:00

Can anyone recommend good books on the China wars and Ashantee ? Thanks. Chris
Derbys
Participating Member

Next

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials