Suggestions for New Books

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

Re: Suggestions for New Books

Postby Mark » 24 Jan 2017 10:04

Derbys wrote:Can anyone recommend good books on the China wars and Ashantee ? Thanks. Chris

I have just begun writing a book on the First and Second Opium Wars, but obviously it is several years away from hitting the bookshops. In the meantime, below are a few books I read in recent months:

The Opium War: Drugs, Dreams and the Making of China by Julia Lovell
Opium Wars by W. Travis Hanes and Frank Sanello
The Chinese Opium Wars by Jack Beeching
Chusan: The Opium Wars, and the Forgotten Story of Britain's First Chinese Island by Liam D'Arcy-Brown

I have not read the next one yet, but have a copy lined-up:

Chinese Account of the Opium War by by Yuan Wei and Edward Harper Parker

Also, if you are interested in the Anglo-Chinese Wars I would suggest a little reading about the East India Company in general, as it will help you understanding of the Opium trade etc.

The Honourable Company: A History of the English East India Company by John Keay

Hope that helps!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Derbys » 24 Jan 2017 18:03

Thank you, Mark. I'll add a couple to my 'birthday list' .....
Derbys
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 25 Jan 2017 10:16

Derbys wrote:Thank you, Mark. I'll add a couple to my 'birthday list' .....

If you pick just one or two go for the below:

Opium Wars by W. Travis Hanes and Frank Sanello
The Chinese Opium Wars by Jack Beeching

These cover both wars and offer a good oversight of the causes and courses of the war as well as the following consequences. However, I have yet to read a modern book on the Opium Wars that I would describe as a 'military history'; hence my own work now in progress.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Derbys » 25 Jan 2017 17:12

Thanks for the advice, Mark. I'll go for the HEIC and perhaps leave the Opium Wars until yours becomes available. I'm in no rush as I have a growing library of unread recent books to get through and no doubt more on the way (I'm lucky enough to trained offspring to look on my 'wish list' of books and choose from those for my birthdays, Xmas etc)
Derbys
Participating Member

Postby bill wright » 28 Jan 2017 00:30

DEAR DERBYS
Modern full accounts of the Ashanti Wars are limited to two: Edgerton (R>). THE FALL OF THE ASANTE EMPIRE (1995) is still easily available. It has a dreadful faux-pas cover showing an incident in the Zulu War but the book itself is quite good and readable. Another book that still turns up is Lloyd (A.). THE DRUMS OF KUMASI (1964), fifty years old but a most entertaining read. The best contemporary account of the 1873-4 War is THE ASHANTI WAR 2 vols (1874) by Capt. H. Brackenbury. The official history of the 1895-96 Ashanti Expedition is extremely rare and not re-printed, but there are good accounts by Baden-Powell, THE DOWNFALL OF PREMPEH (1896) and war correspondent G.C. Musgrave, TO KUMASSI WITH SCOTT (1896), the latter being rare. For a splendid full account of the 1900 Ashanti War read Myatt, THE GOLDEN STOOL (1966) which is easily to find. Probably the best contemporary source is THE ASHANTI CAMPAIGN OF 1900 by Capt. C. Armitage and Lt-Col. A. Montanaro (1900) because the former officer was besieged at Kumasi while the latter man slogged up with the relief column.
There are countless accounts of the China Wars including several quite recent ones. Here are a good smattering of titles since 1976: Beeching (J.). THE CHINESE OPIUM WARS (1976); Bickers (R.) & Tiedemann. THE BOXERS, CHINA AND THE WORLD (2007); Bodin (L.). THE BOXER REBELLION (2008); Corfield (J.). THE AUSTRALIAN ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF THE BOXER UPRISING 1899-1901 (2001); Gelber (H.). OPIUM, SOLDIERS & EVANGELICALS (2004); Graham (G.). THE CHINA STATION (1978); Hannes (W.) & Sanello (E.). THE OPIUM WARS (2002); Harfield (A.). BRITISH AND INDIAN ARMIES ON THE CHINA COAST 1785-1985 (1990); Heath (I.). ARIES OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY: CHINA (1998); Hoe (S.) WOMEN AT THE SIEGE, PEKING 1900 (2000) ; Inglis (B.). THE OPIUM WAR (1976); Keown-Boyd (H.). THE FISTS OF RIGHTEOUS HARMONY (1991); Lovell (J.). THE OPIUM WAR (2011); Mann (M.). CHINA 1860 (1989); Nicholls (B.) BLUEJACKETS AND BOXERS (1986); Norie (E.). THE OFFICIAL ACCOUNT OF THE MILITARY OPERATIONS IN CHINA 1900-1901 reprint of rare original (1995); Preston (D.). THE BOXER REBELLION (2000); Sharf (F.) & Harrington (P.) ed. CHINA 1900 (2000) and so on.
bill wright

Postby Redcoat 57 » 31 Jan 2017 22:31

I would like to see something on the campaigns of the Indian Army between the Mutiny and the second Afghan War, including overseas expeditions like Persia and Afghanistan. I would love to see a good biography of Napier!

For the Ashanti campaign I enjoyed The Ashanti Ring by Leigh Maxwell, which covers all of Wolseley's campaigns 1870-1882, and Coomassie and Magdala by Henry Morton Stanley for an interesting contemporary account.
Redcoat 57

Postby Derbys » 01 Feb 2017 10:00

Thanks Bill. I must admit my first reaction was "oh dear, so many to chose from...". I enjoyed A Tidy Littke War and have yet to start reading A British Lion in Zululand. So with these and recent family gifts by Mark Simner and Mike Snook my bookcase overfloweth ! I'm obliged to Redcoat for those additional suggestions. I must stop reading this topic as every time I do I seem to add another to my wish list.
Derbys
Participating Member

Postby Poltroon » 30 Apr 2017 11:07

Anyone interested in the unique personalities involved in the early exploration of Central Asia and the Great Game might like this new release:

https://www.amazon.com/Tartan-Turban-Se ... tan+turban

Whether Gardner's exploits were true, embellished, or completely made up, it was certainly a life full of adventure and risk as he played all sides to ensure his continued survival.

Well written and researched account of a forgotten character.
Poltroon

Postby Mark » 04 May 2017 08:28

Keay's new book is on my wish list. I have heard good things about it.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials