Victorian Military Books for eReaders

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

Re: Victorian Military Books for eReaders

Postby Mark » 05 Feb 2013 18:41

I have a number of followers on Twitter who publish military history books in electronic format. I have tweeted a link to this thread to see if any have titles they would like included.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 05 Feb 2013 21:27

Thank you, Mark!
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonathan » 09 Feb 2013 06:12

I just added General Sir William Stephen Alexander Lockhart Soldier of the Queen Empress by Martin Smith, who is also a member of the forum.
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonathan » 16 Apr 2014 05:22

A few new books for the list:

Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan, 1839-42 by William Dalrymple--Kindle, Nook, iPad
The Last Mughal: The Fall of a Dynasty: Delhi, 1857 by William Dalrymple--Kindle, Nook, iPad
Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift by Mike Snook--Kindle, Nook
Into the Jaws of Death: British Military Blunders 1879 - 1900 by Mike Snook--Kindle, Nook
British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography by Harold E. Raugh--Kindle, Nook

And in fiction:
The Scarlet Thief by Paul Fraser Collard--Kindle, Nook
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 16 Apr 2014 09:41

Thanks for the update, Jonathan! Which reminds me I want to get hold of a copy of Dalrymple's 'The Last Mughal' book.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 16 Apr 2014 16:03

My pleasure, Mark! Some of the titles which are listed as being just for the Kindle and Nook may very well be available for iPad. I do not have iTunes or iBooks or any sort of iDevice, so I find it hard to search for books for Apple products.
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jack Lark » 23 Jun 2014 16:36

I just wanted to say how pleased I was to see my first two novels hit this list!
(I am Paul Fraser Collard by the way)
I'd be keen to hear from any members of the forum if they get around to reading them.
Jack Lark

Postby HistoryLover1 » 04 Nov 2014 11:39

There's a publishing company called Endeavour Press who put loads of their ebooks on promo for free. I signed up to their newsletter a few months ago and every week there are at least two military titles for free. They aren't always necessarily Victorian era - but I have had a good few!

This week I downloaded Albert, Prince Consort by Hector Bolitho for free on my Kindle. Bolitho is a really famous writer of Royal Biography, and that definitely shows in this book. It gives a really interesting overview of the life of Prince Albert, but in particular focuses on a comparison between Albert and Victoria, and Philip and Elizabeth. So much of Victorian history is centred on the Queen herself, so it’s refreshing to look at the life of the man who was often in her shadow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Albert-Prince-C ... +endeavour

An interesting bio, though not massively military focused. But would definitely recommend signing up to newsletter (www.endeavourpress.com)
HistoryLover1

Postby Mark » 05 Nov 2014 09:39

Archive.org have lots of vintage books, many of which can be useful for research purposes. While PDF appears to be the main format used, many of them also appear in eReader form such as Kindle. They do not always convert across properly when viewed on eReaders, but some may still find this of interest.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby HistoryLover1 » 17 Nov 2014 17:31

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reign-Queen-Vic ... ia+bolitho

I downloaded The Reign of Queen Victoria by Hector Bolitho for free on my Kindle this morning. Have only read half on the train so far, but it is quite short and a really compelling read. Bolitho is a widely-praised historian so I had high expectations for this royal memoir. This biography really comes into its own because it traces the childhood of Albert and Victoria side by side The book is formatted so that the chapters alternate – a really nice touch as we can trace their evolution as characters together. I am usually a fan of military or political bios, but this is more of a personal history. Bolitho sheds new light on the private life of this leader, from her life as a young girl to the great years of her reign. I would definitely recommend this book (especially if you are able to get it for free as well). I can’t wait to get started on the second half!
HistoryLover1

Previous

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials