SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and other Kinsley books

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and other Kinsley books

Postby L. Braden » 06 Oct 2009 18:09

The sequel to SWORD FIGHTERS OF BRITISH INDIA, entitled SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE, is now available at a bargain price EXCLUSIVELY from lulu.com. It covers every major conflict from the Napoleonic Wars to the Sudan War, including the cavalry actions at Balaklava. I think it's as good as, if not in some ways better than, the prequel. All in all, a highly entertaining and informative read. (The prequel is also now available exclusively from lulu.com in a new and cheaper edition.)
Update, 10/7: I'm informed that the books may eventually be available at the same prices in paperback from Amazon. However, those who want them from Lulu may have to wait a bit, because I hear they're having some temporary problem that prevents access to them. Just have to keep checking!
L. Braden

Re: Access to SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Postby L. Braden » 07 Oct 2009 18:02

Lulu is working on the problem!
L. Braden

Re: Review of SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Postby Will Mathieson » 08 Oct 2009 22:10

Does the book get detailed as in certain individuals who made a name for themselves or does it take a more general view with regiments?
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Re: Availability of SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Postby L. Braden » 10 Oct 2009 17:07

The problem was fixed, so SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE is again available from lulu.com (and will soon be available from Amazon), along with SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and its new edition, SWORDSMEN OF THE RAJ.

In answer to Mr. Mathieson's question: The book contains the accounts of individual combatants, detailing their experiences and what they observed or were told about the experiences of others, as well as the accounts of noncombatant observers or those informed of individual and collective action. In other words, it is not a history of regimental or collective action; the general view, although included when necessary for an understanding of the action, is subordinate to the individual view.
L. Braden

Re: SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Postby L. Braden » 12 Oct 2009 19:58

SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE is now available from Amazon.com as well as Lulu.com. (for the same price), but it will take a while for it to get processed onto the Amazon website.
10/13. It has been processed.
L. Braden

Postby Matt Easton » 30 Oct 2009 19:13

I'd like to purchase both Raj and Empire, but I can't for the life of me work out how the hell to buy them as books if you're in the UK...

Matt
Matt Easton

Re: SWORDSMEN OF THE RAJ & SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Postby L. Braden » 31 Oct 2009 18:35

For shipment to the UK, the books can be ordered from: lulu.com or lulu.com/uk, and from: amazon.com (not amazon.co.uk). Hope this helps.
Last edited by L. Braden on 01 Nov 2009 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
L. Braden

Postby Matt Easton » 09 Nov 2009 16:13

Matt Easton

Re: SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and other Kinsley books

Postby Matt Easton » 19 Nov 2009 17:45

I have updated my review of Swordsmen of the Raj:

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/vi ... =8&t=14019

Regards,
Matt
Matt Easton

BLADES IN ACTION | D A Kinsley

Postby L. Braden » 07 Apr 2010 20:17

Quote: "This supplement to 'Sword Fighters of British India' (new edition: 'Swordsmen of the Raj') and 'Sword Fighters of the British Empire' includes sections on swords vs. bayonets and lances or spears, sword or combat knives and knifers, and many additional narratives and commentaries. With numerous illustrations." Now available in paperback, hardback, download, and ebook from lulu.com (or lulu.com/uk, etc.) and in paperback only from amazon.com and ebay.com.
L. Braden

Re: SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and other Kinsley books

Postby Will Mathieson » 10 Apr 2010 19:55

I have read both books and greatly enjoyed the individual accounts. These books are about accounts and not pictures, the ones provided are not titled and are poor reproductions as are the drawn pictures of different swords. We do not need the sword pictures, but I would have liked the references to the pictures so I could find better copies on the net, some would be great if reproduced well. Pictures are not titled so you don't know which actions they are portraying. Maybe in the future a combined book will address any shortfalls in this area. Overall great read seen through the eyes of actual users.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Re: SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE and other Kinsley b

Postby Jonathan » 21 Apr 2010 19:42

I received Sword Fighters of British India as a gift in January, and it was purchased through Amazon with no problems. I am nearly finished reading it so I thought I would chime-in briefly. I agree with the criticisms of the book, but I feel its value far outweighs its flaws. No other publication (aside form others by the same author) offers such a comprehensive assemblage of primary source accounts of the use of the sword in battle (in the context of British India). I recommend this title to anyone with an interest in military swords and swordsmanship, or with an interest in details of the fierce hand-to-hand fighting that took place. I look forward to reading the other titles in the "Sword Fighters..." series. I would love to see this (maybe paired with the author's other sword related offerings) re-published by a true publisher, offering higher quality images with captions, more accurate images of British swords of the period, and an editor to help catch typos and other small errors in the text. Maybe there is not a market for such a book, but one can dream. :)
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Liz » 23 Apr 2010 04:28

I'd love to see somebody like DK tackle this project - imagine lavish full-colour images of relevant swords and sword movements etc. side by side with the first person accounts... *sigh*. It was a nice daydream while it lasted.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby L. Braden » 28 Oct 2010 17:20

BLADE FIGHTERS by D. A. Kinsley
Quote: "This sequel to BLADES IN ACTION and second supplement to SWORD FIGHTERS OF BRITISH INDIA (SWORDSMEN OF THE RAJ) and SWORD FIGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE contains many additional narratives and commentaries, including sword duels, fights with pirates and slavers, combat with claymores, dirks, cutlasses, and other edged weapons, and the 'stopping power' myth. With numerous illustrations."
Available from lulu.com (all formats), amazon.com (pb), and ebay.com (pb).
L. Braden

Postby Jonathan » 28 Oct 2010 17:35

Thanks for the update!
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials