War Office Publications Available Online

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

War Office Publications Available Online

Postby Frogsmile » 22 Mar 2017 15:07

I thought that forum members might be interested in this link to quite a long list of online war office publications via the Hathi Trust. It might well be available via Wiki, but here is another access point: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/we ... r%20Office
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: War Office Publications Available Online

Postby Maureene » 23 Mar 2017 09:47

A useful link. Thanks Frogsmile.

It seems to me that Hathi Trust is quite inconsistent about what it provides full view, and what is restricted in UK, Australia etc. Very similar publications seem to be treated differently, (noting everything published before 1923 is available full view in the US, Canada etc)

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Mark » 23 Mar 2017 10:07

Interesting list! I need to spend time looking through this.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark A. Reid » 23 Mar 2017 12:56

Many thanks for this link Frogsmile, I stayed up long past my bedtime last night reading through some of the publications! Regarding the different access, Maureene, I wonder if this has to do with different copyright legislation in the various countries. Canada, for example, allows more generous use of published material.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 23 Mar 2017 15:40

Maureene wrote:A useful link. Thanks Frogsmile.

It seems to me that Hathi Trust is quite inconsistent about what it provides full view, and what is restricted in UK, Australia etc. Very similar publications seem to be treated differently, (noting everything published before 1923 is available full view in the US, Canada etc)

Cheers
Maureen

I agree Maureen, it's very frustrating. Also at least one of the links does not work (Manual of Artillery Exercises). I do not understand how, or why some War Office Publications, written so long ago, can still be in copyright, when others from the same source and around the same time are not.

Many thanks to all those who responded, it's good to know that you have found the link useful.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Mark » 24 Mar 2017 10:09

Frogsmile wrote:I do not understand how, or why some War Office Publications, written so long ago, can still be in copyright, when others from the same source and around the same time are not.

I believe it is not the book they claim copyright to (as they cannot) but the electronic image they created of it.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Mar 2017 12:30

Mark wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:I do not understand how, or why some War Office Publications, written so long ago, can still be in copyright, when others from the same source and around the same time are not.

I believe it is not the book they claim copyright to (as they cannot) but the electronic image they created of it.

Mark

I am sure that you must be right Mark, but I do wonder who 'they' were. I noticed that most of the digitisation seems to have been done by American, or Canadian universities, so I suppose it might be them that you are referring to?
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials