A BRITISH LION IN ZULULAND

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

A BRITISH LION IN ZULULAND

Postby bill wright » 03 Dec 2016 00:02

Just to let you all know that my new book, "A BRITISH LION IN ZULULAND Sir Garnet Wolseley In South Africa 1879-1880" will be out in mid-January 2017 from Amberley Publishing, 380 pages, price £25.00.
This is an attempt to examine Wolseley`s doings in considerable detail including food for thought on that hoary old chestnut - the disastrous Zulu Settlement. It should be borne in mind that it was Wolseley who was responsible for the capture of Cetshwayo, that sporadic fighting continued long after the battle at Ulundi and the situation in Natal and Zululand remained extremely tense for many weeks.
The general went on to the Eastern Transvaal where he was forced to fight a bloody but short campaign against the Bapedi under Chief Sekhukhune. Its climax at Tsate saw the only offensive battle (as opposed to defensive) waged by the British in 1879 with more men involved than Ulundi, a war that hitherto has largely been over-looked by historians.
The book was researched in Britain and South Africa including two field trips to Bopedi (the land of the Pedi) and Tsate. Over 600 of Wolseley`s letters were consulted along with material in many institutions - the aim being to give a much more rounded picture of Wolseley`s involvement in affairs as well as to throw a spotlight on the Zulu War`s later stages, the Zulu Settlement and the 2nd Anglo-Pedi conflict. The book climaxes with a 40 page account of the Tsate/Ntswaneng battle. I hope lovers of South African military history and the period will enjoy !
bill wright

Re: A BRITISH LION IN ZULULAND

Postby Isandlwana » 04 Dec 2016 18:19

Bill,

I don't know if you were aware of this photograph from my collection, but it might have been of some use to you.

Zulu izinduna receiving details of Wolseley's settlement of their kingdom, Ulundi, 1st September 1879
John Young Collection.

Looking forward to your forthcoming book.

Regards,

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby bill wright » 04 Dec 2016 18:57

Wow, John, what a fabulous picture of this important event ! Bit late now I regret, but I hope you enjoy the book. The early part of the narrative may not hold great surprises for you, though I quote from many previously unpublished Wolseley letters etc., but I hope the chapter on the Zulu Settlement gives much more food for thought. On the Pedi War I was striking fresh soil and I hope it makes for an exciting and refreshing read.
bill wright

Postby Poltroon » 21 Jan 2017 11:37

Hi Bill,

I have just ordered a copy and am looking forward to reading it. Always nice to come across a fresh account of these wars and I especially look forward to reading more of Wolseley's diary entries which I'm sure will be as forthright and blunt as those previously published.

Thank you for your effort in taking the time to research and write this book.

Billy
Poltroon

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials