Cavalry Roll Book

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

Cavalry Roll Book

Postby rclpillinger » 06 Mar 2016 18:30

Just purchased this item from an e-bay sight. It relates to the 3rd Dragoon Guards, but I have bought it because of the name of the person who wrote and presumably designed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371456220567?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looking forward to it arriving on Wednesday (we'll see!) but in the mean time can anyone cast any light on its function. The first I knew of such a booklet was when my attention was kindly drawn to it yesterday.

Richard
rclpillinger

Re: Cavalry Roll Book

Postby QSAMIKE » 06 Mar 2016 22:08

Hi Richard......

These are fascinating books and a wealth of information when you can get your hands on one.....

I had an infantry version to the Durham Light Infantry a Sgt. Flowers......

I know that when I served a number of this type of book along with a number of other records were shredded for privacy and security reasons......

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby rclpillinger » 08 Mar 2016 21:58

It has arrived, and looking forward to tomorrow when I have lots of time to have a good read.

It is a little frail, but otherwise in good condition. Volume 33 would indicate it was about for some time, and Grandpa dated the preface 1889. Presumably the Tenth got the benefit of this being sold, and can anyone explain how extensive was the distribution? This is something I knew nothing about until just before last weekend.

Fascinated

Richard
Attachments
Cavalry Roll.JPG
Cavalry Roll.JPG (120.89 KiB) Viewed 540 times
rclpillinger

Postby QSAMIKE » 09 Mar 2016 03:33

Hi Richard.......

I am sure that you know the organization "Naval and Military Press"......

Well "Gale and Polden's" was the Victorian era version of the same type of company.....

This note book was written by QMS Pillinger and then printed by Gale and Polden.....

There would have been many thousands printed......

G and P had a whole series of training manuals and general interest books.......

I like the comment on the bottom, posted anywhere in the world free......

Mike

Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gale_%26_Polden
Mike C.
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby rclpillinger » 04 Apr 2016 00:00

I have at last managed to get the first 40 or so pages of the Cavalry Roll Book on my website, and just looking for a way to now present the roll itself, which is in a double-page landscape format, in a tidy fashion.

These first pages cover how to use the booklet, and the cavalry regulations, dress code, expected prices of cavalry kit, and many other topics, all correct at the time the booklet was published in May 1889. It makes very interesting reading.

It can be found at http://www.majorpillinger.com under the "About" tab.

If anybody has any detail about the publication of this booklet regards the time edition no. 1 appeared, or how widespread its use was, and any information about how my Grandfather wrote or was involved in the production of it, I would be more than pleased to hear from you. I have written to the publishers archives but as yet heard nothing.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby QSAMIKE » 04 Apr 2016 00:26

Hi Richard......

It is interesting that Roland served in the Egyptian Camel Corps and Army Service Corps during World War One with the rank of Major.....

Mike
Mike C.
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby rclpillinger » 04 Apr 2016 20:21

Yes, Mike. It seems that he tried very hard to be re-enlisted with the Tenth but to no avail as he had served his 35 years.

I have his service up until Gallipoli was evacuated in Jan. 1916, but following that the only evidence I can find of him anywhere is his Staff hat, and the picture of him with, almost certainly, Allenby in Jerusalem in 1917. The next I find is him in Bombay in 1921, still in the Army, however this may be the Indian Army. At this point my Father is born, following, I believe, a good night at a beach party, a hasty wedding to my Grandmother, 45 years his junior, and he retires to Torquay. Much research yet to do.....

Richard
rclpillinger

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials