My Next Book - Kitchener's Re-conquest of Sudan

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

My Next Book - Kitchener's Re-conquest of Sudan

Postby Mark » 07 Jan 2016 12:36

As some of you will have guessed I am currently writing a book about Kitchener's re-conquest of Sudan. Although I have included some background detail on the rise of the Mahdi and the death of General Gordon etc., the work focusses predominately on the period 1896-98. Now that the manuscript is over 50% complete I feel I can finally let forum members know about my latest writing project. It will be published by Fonthill Media.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: My Next Book - Kitchener's Re-conquest of Sudan

Postby Mark A. Reid » 07 Jan 2016 22:20

Hello Mark;

Thanks for sharing that great news, I very much look forward to seeing it in print.

Although slightly past my period of interest, may I offer you any assistance in your search for material on the Egyptian Army. As Westerners, used to reading Churchill's account, etc, we tend to forget that Omdurman was the successful conclusion of a two-year war by the Egyptian Army, only assisted in the closing weeks, by a much smaller British force. No need to tell you this, I'm sure!

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Re: My Next Book - Kitchener's Re-conquest of Sudan

Postby Mark » 07 Jan 2016 22:34

Thanks, Mark! Any help is always greatly appreciated. You are absolutely correct about the Egyptian Army bearing the brunt of the re-conquest, something which I have - so far - hopefully conveyed to the potential reader. I have also emphasised the importance of the Sudan Military Railway, another under-recognised aspect of the campaign.

Most eyewitness accounts, of course, are British. Do you know of any from the point of view of the Egyptian (or Sudanese) troops? I suspect few if any exist, but you never know.

I am just about to describe the Battle of Atbara, after which it is of course Omdurman; the latter of which I hope to go into quite a bit of detail, beyond that encountered in most other books on the subject.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials