the black war-fear,sex and resistance in tasmania

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

the black war-fear,sex and resistance in tasmania

Postby petergoose » 19 Sep 2015 14:26

I've had a interest in the Tasmanian conflict of the first half of the 19th century for a while,unfortunately military history's of the conflict are non existent. Ian Hernon devoted a chapter to it in his second book of his trilogy about forgotten 19th century campaigns, unfortunately the whole chapter is just a tirade against the colonial powers and not a military history in any sense.
That's the problem,most historys are either anti colonial tirades or pseudo historical revisionist (ie non history)apologetic nonsense.

Nicholas Clements"the black war"avoid both pitfalls. For while this is not a strict military history its not PC rubbish either. Instead you are told the brutal reality of Tasmanian frontier life in the 1820s and 1830s. Neither side comes of innocent. The men and women of the Tasmanian tribes did not lead a pacifist lifestyle before the coming of the Europeans as some "historians"claim and the author gets that across.
He also points out that the 200 or so colonial dead represented a large percentage of the colonists numbers. Atrocities were carried out by both sides. The author points out that questions of "right and wrong"were moot to the men and women-of both sides-on the frontier. They had realty to deal with.
I don't want to give the impression that the author waters down the horror of what took place,he doesn't. Nor does he deny the brutal way the native Tasmanian people were treated,or the great injustice done to them. He just points out that it was a harsh time and place,and what happened was horrific but should not be coloured by modern sensibilities. As I wrote though the author has no approval for(and demolishes) the pseudo historical ramblings of windschuttle and co.

Again,this is not a military history in the strict sense. I purchased this title because in short there are no modern military history's of the war. But I'm glad I did,both sides are fairly represented. The horror of the treatment of the native Tasmanians is neither glossed over or,as happen too often,put(unfairly)in a modern PC light.
petergoose

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials