turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby petergoose » 19 Jul 2015 14:21

Partisan historical 18,Turkish uniforms of the Crimean war by C.Flaherty
This book does what it says on the tin. This is the only real book out there on this subject. It covers not only the uniforms of the units that fought in the Crimea but several quite esoteric units that did not. Of course all arms are detailed enough to satisfy any Crimean war fan,wargamer etc. What this book does not cover is Turkish tactics or battle history's. Why should it? Its about the uniforms and they are well covered.
It cost me about 21 pounds including postage and I am well satisfied. :D
petergoose
New Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 03 Jul 2015 17:44

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby maxnechitaylov » 17 Aug 2015 19:30

Unfortunately, the author excessively trusts contemporary illustrations, sometimes the doubtful ones :) (:
maxnechitaylov
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 Aug 2015 14:36
Location: Russian Federation

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby maxnechitaylov » 17 Aug 2015 20:15

By the way,
whether someone has this article?

THE UNIFORMS OF THE TURKISH REGIMENTS OF POLISH COSSACKS DURING THE CRIMEAN WAR
by Knut Erik Strom
THE WAR CORRESPONDENT, Volume 16, No. 1 (April 1998)
maxnechitaylov
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 Aug 2015 14:36
Location: Russian Federation

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby petergoose » 17 Aug 2015 22:34

maxnechitaylov wrote:Unfortunately, the author excessively trusts contemporary illustrations, sometimes the doubtful ones :) (:


I'm not sure what else the author could have done. General vansons drawings are his main source and while I can't comment on there accuracy in regards to the turks his drawings of British cavalry uniforms are very accurate. In English I am not aware of any better source than the partizan press book.
petergoose
New Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 03 Jul 2015 17:44

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby petergoose » 17 Aug 2015 22:39

maxnechitaylov wrote:By the way,
whether someone has this article?

THE UNIFORMS OF THE TURKISH REGIMENTS OF POLISH COSSACKS DURING THE CRIMEAN WAR
by Knut Erik Strom
THE WAR CORRESPONDENT, Volume 16, No. 1 (April 1998)


The issue you want is not available as a lulu reprint yet. It should be at some point in the future as everything is being slowly built up for the purposes of making reprints available.
petergoose
New Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 03 Jul 2015 17:44

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby maxnechitaylov » 17 Aug 2015 22:48

petergoose wrote:I'm not sure what else the author could have done


Written sources :)
It much more than it is possible to suspect...
maxnechitaylov
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 Aug 2015 14:36
Location: Russian Federation

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby maxnechitaylov » 17 Aug 2015 22:48

petergoose wrote:
maxnechitaylov wrote:By the way,
whether someone has this article?

THE UNIFORMS OF THE TURKISH REGIMENTS OF POLISH COSSACKS DURING THE CRIMEAN WAR
by Knut Erik Strom
THE WAR CORRESPONDENT, Volume 16, No. 1 (April 1998)


The issue you want is not available as a lulu reprint yet. It should be at some point in the future as everything is being slowly built up for the purposes of making reprints available.


Thank you.
maxnechitaylov
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 Aug 2015 14:36
Location: Russian Federation

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby Peter » 19 Aug 2015 07:22

Article, with illustrations:

Chris Flaherty, Turkish Contingent Uniforms of the Crimean War Era, Soldiers of the Queen, 2012, September, Issue 150, pp 16 – 19.

Amongst his sources:

National Archives, “Several” photographs from 1855 of the Turkish Contingent officers.
National Army Museum.
R Ackerman, Costumes of the British Army, Number 11.
Peter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 29 Jan 2009 03:03
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: turkish uniforms of the crimean war

Postby maxnechitaylov » 26 Oct 2015 00:50

maxnechitaylov
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 Aug 2015 14:36
Location: Russian Federation


Return to Reference Books & Other Materials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest