Webley WG Army Model revolver

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Re: Webley WG Army Model revolver

Postby QSAMIKE » 28 Jul 2012 05:27

Hi James ......

I am glad you agree with the date...... The C brroad Arrow of course makes it Canadian......

The C.I.A. I am sure is not the obvious.....

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 29 Jul 2012 06:07

Can't find a reference at present, but my increasingly age-fogged memory ( :roll: ) is telling me that CIA stood for "Canadian Inspectorate of Ammunition" (or something like that .....)

As you may well know, most WWII-vintage ammunition packaging is marked differently - "I G Canada" .... "Inspector (or Inspectorate?) General Canada" (.... I have seen it referenced both ways ....) -

.45 Colt-chambered revolvers were first acquired by Canada in 1885 for the North West Rebellion (Model 1878 Colt Double Actions). Those revolvers were also issued during the Boer War, supplemented with Colt New Service revolvers in the same caliber ..... also in service during The Great War. The above rather interesting cartridge packet evidences that the New Service revolvers, at least, were still on issue in some capacity during the Second World War!
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Light Dragoon » 06 Aug 2012 00:24

Grant;

I was under the impression that the RCMP continued using the Colt New Service (in both .45 Colt and .455) until well into the 1950's (I am thinking 1955, but I'm not sure of the exact date) when they replaced it with the Smith and Wesson Military and Police, in .38 Special, due to the fact that the big New Service had gone out of production during WWII, and was (sadly!) not revived by Colt after the war.

I have a question for you on Canadian New Services, but I'll start a new topic so as not to let things get too far off-topic on this thread!

Cheers!

Gordon
Light Dragoon

Postby GrantRCanada » 06 Aug 2012 07:39

Yes, the Colt New Service was the standard-issue sidearm of the NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP from 1905 through 1954.

The New Service revolvers acquired by the Department of Militia and Defence in 1899/1900 for military service in the Boer War were chambered in .45 Colt, because that was effectively the Canadian "military issue" revolver cartridge at the time - the earlier Model 1878 Colts being chambered for it.

On the other hand, when the Mounted Police began replacing its .476 Enfield revolvers with the Colt New Service in 1905, their standard-issue ammunition was .455 because, as you may know, despite its nomenclature the ".476" is actually a .455 in terms of bore diameter (as, indeed, is the .450 Adams.) "Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police, 1873-1973" contains this illustration of six different cartridges issued at various times ... the first five were usable (interchangeably, albeit with varying degrees of accuracy) in the Enfield and .455 Colt revolvers -Image
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Spedini » 20 Oct 2012 11:53

Hello everybody
Got my new mold today.Caliber is .455 and it`s extremely well made,even better than RCBS.I can highly recommend it. :P [album][/album]
Mold 002.JPG
Mold 002.JPG (109.97 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Mold 003.JPG
Mold 003.JPG (88.65 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Webley WG1889 003.JPG
Webley WG1889 003.JPG (97.05 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Please ignore airgun pellet on the mold
Spedini

Postby Huges » 27 Mar 2015 06:35

Hello sir good day to you, I am new for this article and this is really interested to read,, nice photos and good looking revolver i was amaze to see this kind of weapons,, congrats for this collections sir..
Huges

Postby djt78 » 11 Dec 2015 21:32

Hello,

Fascinating thread. Could someone please post images of the correct holsters for these Webley WG revolvers?

Many thanks,

Des
djt78

Postby GrantRCanada » 12 Dec 2015 09:16

Being commercial-production revolvers rather than an official military model, there really isn't any "correct" holster (... which would actually be called a "pistol case" in British military terminology.) Admittedly, such revolvers were frequently purchased by British military officers (who were required to supply all of their own kit at personal expense) but his holster would also be private purchase .... although likely to conform to a general pattern which was fairly "standard" for officers, as finally sanctioned by the "official" adoption in 1900 of the "Sam Browne Equipment" which officers had already been been using for decades -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby djt78 » 13 Dec 2015 16:30

Thanks for replying Grant, very helpful info.

Best wishes,

Des
djt78

Postby Spedini » 13 Dec 2015 18:18

I Will post som pictures of my holsters tomorrow.

Peter
Spedini

Postby GrantRCanada » 14 Dec 2015 00:29

Keep in mind that, in the British military in Edwardian and Victorian times (and earlier), "official patterns" of such things as pistol cases (holsters) and all other kit were adopted primarily to standardize design and construction of "issue" items - i.e. items which would be issued by the War Department to Other Ranks (the "rank and file") .... as opposed to "officer's kit", which was "private purchase" personally owned by the officer and thus could vary somewhat in design ....

In 1877 a standardized pistol case was adopted for Other Ranks .... see description in second paragraph -

That List of Changes entry had no illustration, but this is the general appearance of the holster (as shown in a later LoC entry introducing some modifications) -

Of course, the example illustrated above would have been for one of the short-barreled (4 in.) Webley Mk I through V service revolvers (i.e. for issue to Other Ranks) but as alluded to in the latter part of LoC3598, some service revolvers had longer barrels (e.g. the .455/.476 Enfield and the Mk VI Webley) so some such holsters did have longer bodies so the barrel was not exposed. Although not Victorian (... mea culpa ...) these WWI photographs show the two lengths -

ImageImage
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby 4746 » 04 Dec 2016 20:50

GRANT.....THIS IS ALAN FROM CHISHOLM'S TRAIL LEATHER. YOU WILL REMEMBRER WE DISCUSSED MAKING THE BRITISH FLAP BANDOLIERS OF THE VICTORIAN WARS OVER A YEAR AGO. IT HAS TAKEN THAT LONG TO GET A FOUNDRY TO CAST THE 1" SAM BROWNE STUDS IT TAKES TO HOLD THE FLAPS CLOSED. WE ARE NOW READY TO MAKE THEM FOR GOOOD OLD BOYS ONLY (HA). THAT WE KNOW OF WE ARE THE ONLY SOURCE IN THE WORLD FOR THESE NOW.
WE ARE ALSO MAKING WEBLEY HOLSTERS IN BOTH 4" AND LONG BARREL FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF OUR "MOVIE" BUTTON ON OUR WEB SITE <westernleatherholster.com>. YOU CAN CONTACT US BY E-MAIL <chisholms_trail@netscape.com> or (678) 423-7351.
WE ARE IN STRONG NEED FOR A WEBLEY GREEN LONG BARREL 455 REVOLVER IN "ANY" CONDITION AND ARE HAPPY TO PAY A FAIR PRICE. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON AND ANY MEMBERS THAT CAN HELP. THANKS ~ ALAN

Previous

Return to Weapons & Tactics