Tower pattern 1853 rifle

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Tower pattern 1853 rifle

Postby Shinyblades » 27 Jul 2017 11:43

Hello all , I recently acquired a 1853 3 band rifle marked. tower 1856 and crown vr to tail of lock plate , it is marked WD and broad arrow to stock which is over struck with the obsolete arrows , this is also on the barrel with the S for sold out of service , it is the second model with Spring retained bands and swell ramrod which unfortunately is missing , after light cleaning the butt tang is marked LC over U over 20 , any help would be appreciated on identifying the markings which I suspect are for lower Canada , but what is the U. Many thanks. Gary ( Belfast )
Shinyblades

Re: Tower pattern 1853 rifle

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 03 Aug 2017 01:31

From the books...

LC...Lower Canada

U...University Club

The number 20 probably is the gun number for issue to club members for drilling. (Just a guess on this)

I do believe that this was a college club for military enthusiasts like The Thespians Club or The Latin Club. It was not a officer training school, it was just a club. Perhaps ex military helped drill with the gun and lectured/inspired the young men in their endeavor. I am making an intelligent guess here so if someone can shed more light on this topic PLEASE do.

Britain today, has gone one step further by sponsoring the UOTC, University Officers Training Corp. Same idea as a old fashioned University Club. It is British Army run organization, but not official military units.

Check out the first sentence of this link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officers% ... ning_Corps
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby Shinyblades » 14 Aug 2017 15:40

Thanks ED. it would be interesting to hear from anyone else with a 2nd model p53 marked to Lower Canada or Upper Canada to compare markings .
Shinyblades

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 14 Aug 2017 17:24

You are welcome Shinyblades. BTW, the reference info about your rifle markings came from a section of a book that pertained ONLY to Canadian markings.
It would be interesting to know when this rifle was utilized by the University club.....1865, 1899, 1909? And what university?
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 17 Aug 2017 19:02

I have a question about the butt tang markings. Is the marking LC or L.C.
Punctuation means Loyola College.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby Waggoner » 18 Aug 2017 11:52

Following the withdrawal of British troops for the Crimea, the Canadian government (Ontario and Quebec) revitalized the militia and send an arms purchasing commission to the UK in 1855. Among the arms purchased was a quantity of Pattern 1853 rifled muskets. They were issued to infantry companies in Upper Canada (Ontario) and Lower Canada (Quebec). The markings show LC or UC/company designation/rack number. Many of these muskets were converted to Sniders in the 1860s. If yours is still in original condition, then it is a scarce piece!

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 28 Aug 2017 04:17

With all due respect to Ed (whose source presumably relates to a later era) a Lower Canada-marked Pattern 1853 rifle with a 'U' unit mark would be one of 69 rifles issued to the Quebec 5th Rifle Company. This information is included in a summary of all Lower Canada Militia holdings of Enfield Pattern rifles and carbines as of April 1, 1861, published as Appendix B of David W. Edgecombe's exhaustively researched "Defending the Dominion: Canadian Military rifles, 1855 - 1955", a scan of which I attach -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 28 Aug 2017 14:41

Grant,

Thank you for this additional information. I really must get a copy of that book.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Return to Weapons & Tactics