Wepon parts/spares.

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Wepon parts/spares.

Postby Potts1972 » 16 Mar 2017 12:09

I'm trying to find out what weapon parts/spares would have been held at battalion level by an infantry regt whilst on campaign during the Victorian era, and if so were would they be held and by who. "It must have happened at some level", Any help or thoughts on the subject would be very much appreciated.
Regards Jeff.
Potts1972

Re: Wepon parts/spares.

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Mar 2017 14:14

The spares requirement was smaller than more modern times as rifles were deliberately kept simple with as few working parts as possible and each item could, if needed, be repaired or replaced by the battalion's Armourer sergeant, who combined the skills of a metal smith and mechanical engineer. It was he who held the relatively small stock of ready-use spares. These generally comprised of locks, lock plates, springs of various kinds, pins and screws. When moving with the battalion his trunks of tools and spares were carried on one of the quarter-masters GS Wagons (horse drawn and part of the battalion transport) and moved as part of the battalion's often sub-divided (usually in two parts) rear echelon. He would set up his workshop wherever the battalion stopped.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Potts1972 » 16 Mar 2017 21:15

Thank you very much, that is exactly the information I needed.
regards Jeff.
Potts1972

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Mar 2017 22:03

Potts1972 wrote:Thank you very much, that is exactly the information I needed.
regards Jeff.

Glad to help Jeff, the Armourer Sergeants were often unsung heroes. After all, no rifle, no battle. Let me know if you need anything else.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Weapons & Tactics