Could this even be Victorian? sword ID help

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Could this even be Victorian? sword ID help

Postby Vandevat » 13 Dec 2016 02:16

Hi.
I have a sword that stumps me. I know what it's in the shape of, but it's in too good a condition, methinks, to be old enough.
So i'm wondering whether British 1821 pattern sabres were produced for some purpose like parades or other ceremonies. Or whether some unusual circumstances could have led to a properly old sword looking like this. For instance if someone had an antique chromed; or if a few swords were plated like this back in Victorian times. I figure that to determine this i need expertise. Someone out there might be able to say "It's got such and such characteristics that were not present on any iteration after this date and therefore it won't be a reproduction". Or "that's not chromed, it's nickel plated, and therefore could be Victorian". Etc.
I'm in South Africa, so i came to this forum thinking Boer war. I've seen posted elsewhere that a shipment of sabres was sent to South Africa which included some with no markings, as mine.
Here's info on the sword's physical characteristics, to help ID it :
Since i can't (or can't figure out how to) add images to this post, here's a youtube vid of the sword:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crYlCvd-BNo[/youtube]
The condition of the sword in the vid is after i had cleaned it's metalwork.
Sword is unsharpened.
No markings other than the proof disc.
Not sure that there is actually a disc inserted for the proof disc, or it's simply punched into the blade.
The scabbard is longer than it should be for this blade. (?not original to the sword?)
The blade is flexible and springy the way that a hardened high carbon steel bar would be.
The handle is peened on. Whether this is original or was done when the ball / nut was lost i couldn't say. But the handle is a little loose, suggesting the latter.
The backing strap has cross hatching ulike that i've seen on other swords, and to the fore (thumb position) only.
Blade is 822 mm (32.36") long, and 6.32 mm (close to 1/4") thick near the hilt.
Total sword length is 965 mm (37.99")
The mass of the sword only is 775 grams, and the scabbard is 475 grams.
Vandevat

Re: Could this even be Victorian? sword ID help

Postby Waggoner » 13 Dec 2016 02:36

Vandevat,

Welcome to the Forum. Finally got the Utube lnk to work. It appears to be a Pattern 1822 light cavalry officers sword that has been heavily tarted up! They were also used by the artillery and service corps. A clear image of the proof mark might help to date it. You can see the wear on the grip and pitting on the blade. Any etching seems to have been removed when it was plated. Too bad.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Vandevat » 13 Dec 2016 02:50

Thanks Gary.
It would seem that the forum is set up such that to post images one adds them from one's gallery (versus other forums where one can upload directly while creating a post). And i do not have permissions to create an album in my gallery, and thus cannot upload to it and cannot insert the pics in a post. I will try figure something out. Does the youtube link not work?
Cheers.
Vandevat

Postby GrantRCanada » 17 Jan 2017 21:34

Actually, like many web forums, here at VWF you need to link to the URL of an image hosted elsewhere - say on a Photobucket account or the like - that URL gets pasted in between the image codes which appear in the body of the message you are composing, when you click on that button in the toolbar. (The codes which appear are "img" and "/img" ... but with square brackets in place of the quotation marks ...)

Then the image should appear in your posted message, thus:
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Return to Weapons & Tactics