Nordenfeld Gun

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Nordenfeld Gun

Postby rclpillinger » 19 Nov 2016 18:41

I think this is a fantastic print that I was able to copy from an album held in the Horsepower Museum.

The Tenth Hussars were the first Regiment to try out the Nordenfeld gun when Colonel Liddell purchased one late 1886 with his own money, mounted it on a wheeled galloping cart and found that it could fire 3,000 rounds of ammunition in 3 minutes and 3 seconds. Very soon most other cavalry regiments adopted them.

Designed by Swede Helge Palmcrantz, it was manufactured in England with the financial backing of Thorsten Nordenfeld, who clearly could spot where his greatest market lay. I believe it could have up to twelve barrels, the calibre of which could vary depending upon the customer's needs. I think the Tenth later gave one to the Germans when they were inspected by Prince William of Prussia. Perhaps somebody could confirm this, but I am sure I have read it somewhere.

It looks as if the attached scene might have taken place at Olympia, but wherever it was today's Elf & Safety might not be very happy!

Richard
Attachments
Nordenfeld.jpg
Nordenfeld.jpg (172.08 KiB) Viewed 392 times
rclpillinger

Re: Nordenfeld Gun

Postby Isandlwana » 22 Nov 2016 14:32

Richard,

I may be wrong but I was always told it was the Nordenfelt Gun, it is possible something was lost in translation.

As to the venue it is actually the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington, which is now the Business Design Centre. It was the original venue for the Royal Tournament from 1880, until the tournament moved to Olympia in the early part of the 20th Century. Both buildings were designed by Henry Edward Coe, hence the marked resemblance.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby rclpillinger » 30 Nov 2016 21:21

John, I have only just seen your reply, and most places that I have seen the word written used a "T" but some original wording in the Tenth records seem to use a "D". I am pretty sure you are right though, my mistake.

Yes, I had forgotten about the Royal Agricultural Hall. That is interesting, and thankyou. The horses don't look too keen on the noise, and I expect that the reports rang out amongst all that glass.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby Rural53 » 01 Dec 2016 07:26

I'm assuming this was a rifle calibre Nordenfelt. There is a good animation of how the five barrel version of the gun operated at http://www.victorianshipmodels.com/antitorpedoboatguns/Nordenfelt/nordenfelt5barre.html
Rural53
Participating Member

Return to Weapons & Tactics