The Passing of Donald Featherstone

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

The Passing of Donald Featherstone

Postby theironduke1 » 06 Sep 2013 02:43

Many of you by now know that Don Featherstone died on Wednesday. He was 95 years old. He was considered the founder of the modern wargaming hobby but he was also an accomplished military historian. He was a prolific writer and wrote some 70 books, many covering the Victorian period. I have most of them in my library. In his long life, he served his country during the Second World War in the Royal Armoured Corps fighting in North Africa and Italy. I believe he lost his son Peter, a policeman in the Met, in a motorcycle accident in 1990 at the age of 28. His passing is sad indeed but he had a long life and his legacy will forever be part of the hobby he pioneered and his books will grace the shelves of many a library throughout the world.
theironduke1

Re: The Passing of Donald Featherstone

Postby grumpy » 06 Sep 2013 14:50

Thank you.

It was Donald's fault that I caught the wargaming bug in 1962, purchased his little bokk [title escapes me] and was hooked! Previously I had fired matchsticks at toy soldiers!

I have many of his reference books too.

RIP Donald, and thank you very much indeed.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Re: The Passing of Donald Featherstone

Postby Mark » 06 Sep 2013 17:53

Very sad to hear of Donald's passing. I know he wrote many war gaming books and will be greatly missed by historians and war gamers alike.

May he rest in peace.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements