Remembering Drummer Lee Rigby

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Remembering Drummer Lee Rigby

Postby Mark » 23 May 2013 18:27

As many of you will be well aware Drummer Lee Rigby of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was brutally murdered in Woolwich, London yesterday in what appears to be a terrorist attack. I would like to say my thoughts are with Drummer Rigby's family and friends and may this brave British soldier rest in peace!

Mark
Administrator
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: RIP Drummer Lee Rigby

Postby theironduke1 » 23 May 2013 20:43

Drummer Rigby's murder was horrific and barbaric. He had served his country loyally for several years doing two tours in Afghanistan. Out thoughts are certainly with his family and the British Army which will not be intimidated by such a cowardly and inhuman atrocity.
theironduke1

Postby Brett Hendey » 24 May 2013 09:06

A disgraceful act by despicable people. It is a pity that the police only wounded the perpetrators, who can now continue to be a nuisance in a civilised society. It is time the British stopped taking care not to infringe the "human rights" of people who behave like sub-humans.

My condolences to Drummer Rigby's family, comrades and friends.

Brett
Brett Hendey

Postby Andre Chissel » 25 May 2013 08:16

One can only hope that the people responsible will receive the 'welcome' they deserve when they are incarcerated.
Andre Chissel

Postby walrus » 26 May 2013 07:08

theironduke1 wrote:Drummer Rigby's murder was horrific and barbaric. He had served his country loyally for several years doing two tours in Afghanistan. Out thoughts are certainly with his family and the British Army which will not be intimidated by such a cowardly and inhuman atrocity.

Reminds one of the scene whereby General Gordon was hacked up by similar fanatics. British immigration Policy should be immediately altered to what it once was, based on assimilation,and not multi-culturalism. If newcomers do not wish to be a part of the British way of life, send them back home. As present Policy stands, any groups intent on colonising Europe have the perfect immigration platform to attempt this takeover from.
Regards to all
Walrus
walrus

Postby Les Waring » 26 May 2013 14:11

I second all the declarations of sympathy for Drummer Rigby and condolences to his family.

Although I no longer live in Britain and do not participate in its current events, I make known my opinions on them, having even given a reasoned public lecture on the dangers of compulsory multiculturalism. As an immigrant to my adopted country with joint British-Uruguayan citizenship, I believe that I should not wear my Britishness on my sleeve, having plenty of opportunities to enjoy both positive Uruguayan attitudes towards the British as well as receive negative comments and attitudes, sometimes with agreement at others feeling the need to defend Britishness against unjust or inaccurate attacks. I am able, here in Uruguay, to be British in a 'quiet way', just as I am able to be 'moderately' Uruguayan when visiting Britain. And I feel that this is a form of doing things which is beholden on all immigrants.

The point of my stating my position clearly(?) and openly is that, despite my strong agreement with the opinions expressed by 'walrus' and others, I hope that this forum, which is on the point of helping me to realize one of the greatest ambitions of my life, will not degenerate into a politico-cultural battleground. I participated in the excellent Victoria Cross Reference website which, unfortunately, became defunct in part due to the insistence of a few members in dragging contemporary issues relating to Northern Ireland into the discussions.

I hope that this excellent forum, with its many knowledgeable contributors will continue to be a place where the historical aspects of the Victorian military world can be discussed in a civilized and generally academic way. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen for what you have done in providing otherwise unobtainable information to me and others, long may the forum continue to serve this, its exclusive purpose.

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby Mark » 26 May 2013 20:47

Dear All

Please remember we don't do modern day politics on the forum. This thread is for members to express their condolences for the murdered soldier. Being concerned with the military of the past many of us will also be interested in the military of the present. I, therefore, feel it appropriate to remember this brave soldier here but we need to leave the debate about current day immigration policies etc. for another forum.

Thank you for understanding!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby smilingsixth » 27 May 2013 12:31

My condolences to Drummer Lee Rigby and his family & friends.

His murder was a vile act, that I found hard to believe any human being could could even think about let alone actually carry out.

I hope the brave members of the public who tried to help are rewarded for their brave actions & Drummer Rigby will be suitably remembered.

RIP Drummer Rigby.
smilingsixth

Postby paul kennedy » 27 May 2013 16:34

Rest in Peace, Drummer Rigby.
paul kennedy

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements