About the circular icons on the left of topic lists

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

About the circular icons on the left of topic lists

Postby jf42 » 25 Sep 2012 15:07

Ok. I've tried intuition. I've searched FAQs (etc). I think I may have worked out some of them. But finally I have to swallow my pride and ask what is the meaning of each of those dynamic circular icons at the left hand of each thread or topic in the forums?

Please be gentle.

JF
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: Those circular icons

Postby grumpy » 25 Sep 2012 15:40

They were put there to provoke comment, and in turn to give Grumpy people a chance to pop up to comment on the comment.

Seriously, I have trained myself to ignore them .......... they might go away!
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby grumpy » 29 Sep 2012 17:18

B U M P !
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby swordcollector1 » 29 Sep 2012 22:18

For the ones that look like a chunk of text:

Coloured red means there are posts in that thread that you haven't read yet. Coloured black means you're up-to-date with that thread. If there's a little star at the top right of the icon it means you're also subscribed to it (red or black). If the icon is scrolling it means it runs to more than one page. If there's a little arrow pointing up and left it means the posting was originally posted elsewhere but has been moved (perhaps to a more relevant sub-forum).

If the icon is a padlock, it means the thread is locked so you can't add anything new to it.

Think that about covers all the permutations! :-)

John
swordcollector1

Postby jf42 » 01 Oct 2012 22:54

Thank you, although, now the mystery has been penetrated, I have to confess to a certain sense of melancholy.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby swordcollector1 » 01 Oct 2012 23:01

jf42 wrote:Thank you, although, now the mystery has been penetrated, I have to confess to a certain sense of melancholy.

The path of enlightnment is strewn with sorrows, Grasshopper! :D

J.
swordcollector1

Postby Mark » 02 Oct 2012 23:59

There are other icons available that can appear on the circular ones but at present these are not enabled on this board. Just to add to the confusion :wink:

A new version of the forum software is due to be released in the not too distant future. I have no idea what it looks like yet or whether these circular icons will still be around or replaced with something new. All forums seem to have something similar so I suspect they will be included.

Watch this space...

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements