Anyone fancy writing an article or book review for the VWF?

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Anyone fancy writing an article or book review for the VWF?

Postby Mark » 26 Dec 2011 02:14

Over on our sister forum we have recently published two short articles regarding the Brown Bess Musket and the Baker Rifle. I say short - around 700 to 800 words - but with enough detail to give someone the basic knowledge of the weapons in question. I was wondering if anyone fancies doing something similar on this forum? We have quite a few knowledgeable members on all matters to do with firearms used during the Victorian period so maybe someone is a bit of a budding author? :wink: In particular it would be great to provide novice enthusiasts with information on the main weapons used by the British such as the Enfield Rifle or the Martini-Henry etc. Maybe you want to write an article on something completely different such as uniforms or equipment.

Any help is warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Mark :)
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Anyone fancy writing some articles for the forum?

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 26 Dec 2011 04:31

I have been thinking of doing just that about Aden. It would be in installments. I am a slow typist and there are some printed items to purchase, but who knows, it may come to pass. My posts are sorta long anyway. Great idea but in my mind I have been writing the article about Aden for a year. NO promises. I was also thinking of doing the same in the topic "During this month" or is it "On this Day"? Little history lessons in those topics about my East African interests. No promises. Actually, it doesn't need to be an article with the heading "Article" like in your Napoleonic Forum. It could just be a new topic. I liked your gun articles. Too bad I know very little on those early firearms to know if you got your facts straight. Your brown bess is just awesome. Lots of stamped marks and stock cartouches. Un-sanded wood. you did well. I like to think you learned these things in this forum.
ED, in Los Angeles

Re: Anyone fancy writing some articles for the forum?

Postby Mark » 28 Dec 2011 13:01

Hi Ed

Any contributions to the forum, atricles or just posts, that allow us all to learn more is warmly welcome. Articles are a nice way of members publishing their own research/knowledge which often lead to further discussions adding more detail or correcting errors etc. Same as any thread really. The articles over on the Napoleonic Wars Forum are just examples and titles don't need to be headed 'Article' but were done so to make them stand out for those logging in and searching new posts. What I would like to do is, as and when certain articles (or whatever members which to call them) are posted, is create a master index which members can look through for items of interest. Many threads get lost in the depths of the forum after they become inactive and may be missed if users don't use the search facility properly. However, articles or threads that stand out could be linked to in an index post which is posted as a sticky so it remains at the top of the appropriate sub-forum lists. Just a thought...

Glad you like my Brown Bess, it was selected with care over numerous examples available at the time. There are always a few knocking around the market in the UK but it is always worth waiting for an example that stands out and has all those important little details like matching numbers etc.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Book Reviews

Postby Mark » 04 Jul 2012 23:13

Dear All

Are you currently reading or have recently read a book related to the Victorian Wars? If so why not consider writing a book review giving your honest opinion of the book? Book reviews are a great way to help other members decide what to read or even spark interest in a new subject/topic not previously considered. They also lead to discussion on the forum.

If you would like to post a review please do so in the Reference Books & Other Materials sub-forum. Don't forget to tell us the author and publication details of the book using the following format before the review itself:

Title:
Author:
Publication Date:
Publisher:
ISBN:

For an example of a review please see "The First Anglo-Sikh War" by Amarpal S. Sidhu.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements