Joe Sweeney

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Joe Sweeney

Postby Albert J » 03 Apr 2015 02:35

It is with great sadness I share with you the passing on March 27th of fellow forum member Joe Sweeney. Joe contributed much insight here as well as on other forums regarding the evolution of British service dress. I'm indebted to Joe for the opportunity to have benefited from his knowledge and I will miss our conversations dearly.

God Speed on your next journey Joe.

James A. Holt
Albert J

Re: Joe Sweeney

Postby Frogsmile » 03 Apr 2015 08:41

How very sad. I second that James and recall well his unparalleled knowledge of WW1 clothing and equipment right down to the mundane but interesting objects like socks and underwear (to mention just a few - his range of items was extraordinary) I think he had the most amazing collection of such items but also took the trouble to photograph NAO records such as lists of changes and other routine orders that left no doubt about the pattern and usage of an item. When I found that he was from and based in North America I was dumfounded that he followed the subject he did with such dedication. Like you I learned a lot from him. He will be much missed and I hope that he did not suffer too much. RIP Joe.
Frogsmile
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: Joe Sweeney

Postby grumpy » 03 Apr 2015 13:53

I totally agree.

Joe it was who analysed the contents of the Royal Army Clothing Depot ledgers ........ which are in copperplate Victorian writing. A massive mighty task, as I know to my personal cost. Speed reading is not on!

Members may wish to know that the Great War Forum is minded to make a uniform sub-forum into a Joe Sweeney memorial.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements