2nd Afghan War medal naming styles

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

2nd Afghan War medal naming styles

Postby Odin » 15 Aug 2014 21:50

I am doing some background research for a presentation and I am looking for information on the naming styles used for medals to specific units in the 2nd Afghan War.

Basically there were two styles used for this medal for British Units - large upright capitals and smaller sloping capitals.

I am trying to establish how medals to any of the following units were named as I have not personally seen examples

I/C RHA
5/11 RA

If any Forum Members have medals to any of these units I would very much appreciate your help

Thanks
Last edited by Odin on 19 Aug 2014 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
Odin
Odin

Re: 2nd Afghan War Naming Styles

Postby Garen » 19 Aug 2014 17:22

Hello Odin

Here are a few images from ebay listings I've collected over the years. While I have seen medals to most of the units you've listed, very few sellers post naming pictures. As the photos are from the sellers, the quality is variable.

Its pretty much sloping script for Indian regiments and upright caps for British, isn't it?

Best - Garen
Attachments
medal_naming.jpg
medal_naming.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 980 times
The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Re: 2nd Afghan War Naming Styles

Postby Odin » 19 Aug 2014 21:33

Thank you very much Garen for your reply. I also got some useful information from the RA Museum today which has filled in most of the gaps on the RA/RHA Medals, but it didn't include 6/11th which you have there. Also thanks for the 51st example which I was lacking.

I have amended my original post to show the two that are outstanding I/C RHA and 5/11 RA

The majority of British Units appear to be engraved in sloping capitals, described by some dealers as italics (2/7th, 1/17th, 59th, 2/60th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 4th Bn Rifle Bde) and this also seem to apply to the majority of RA medals. Less units have the naming in the slightly larger upright capitals (2/8th, 2/9th, 81st and a few RA such as G/3rd and G/4th plus your example of 6/11th RA). Also a common factor with this upright style is the use of two dots under the 'th' of the brigade number.

Thank you again for your help
Odin
Odin

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals