Naval Brigade / Landing Party Equipment pre 1880s

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Naval Brigade / Landing Party Equipment pre 1880s

Postby HMS Troutbridge » 24 Oct 2013 22:40

Hey Chaps, wondering if anyone can help, I have a gap in my knowledge of naval landing equipment, ammunition pouches, frogs, haversacks etc. from the 1830s through to but not including the 1880 pattern equipment which I do have details of. Can anyone help me in filling the gaps in my knowledge?

Thanks
Simon
HMS Troutbridge

Re: Pre-1880 Naval Brigade Equipment...

Postby Gary Aardahl » 10 Nov 2013 20:37

Hello Simon,
I've searched for info on Naval Brigade equipment for years and have found it to be a fascinating and little covered area. My interest is primarily in the 1880s period, covering the Egyptian Campaign of 1882 and the First Sudan Campaign, but I have run into a little info on the Snider rifle era that would cover the period up to the introduction of a new series of equipment which would include the Ashanti and Zulu War Campaigns. Most of this has come from Vol. I of List Of Changes In British War Material as edited by Ian Skennerton with additional List Of Changes entries from a book by Rick Landers, 'Saddle Up' Australian Load Carrying Equipment Of British, American & Local Origin. There's enough info here to make for a long posting, so I'll hit some highlights and if any additional info is desired, I can elaborate in additional posts or by email.

In Vol. I of the LOC, there is one circular that follows:
"1556-Belt, shoulder, with Straps and Ball Bag 27 Sep 1867
Belt, Shoulder, with Straps and 30 Round Pouch

For Snider rifle (Boxer's) ammunition for sea service.

The pouch is of the old pattern with enlarged tin.

A set of sea service accoutrements will in future consist of the
above articles, and the old pattern waistbelt, frog and sling.

The proportion in which the new shoulder belts are to be supplied
to H.M. Ships is-

One per Rifle, and ten per cent spare of each description.

Pattern submitted by Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty"

Unfortunately no illustrations accompany this circular, at least as edited by Skennerton. There are also no earlier entries to give further information about the "old pattern".
Later circulars in the LOC detailing the accoutrements as issued beginning in 1880 cover the new items, designated MK II, as well as referring to items modified from earlier patterns, MK I. I'd be happy to go into more detail in additional posts if there's interest or in email.

I've been lucky enough to have acquired a couple pieces of MKII equipment, waistbelt and ammunition bag from the 1880s. I'd love to be able to put together a complete set of equipment, but it's very difficult to find.

I hope this has been of some help. Again, if you'd like some elaboration, send me a pm and I'd be glad to send by email.

Cheers,
Gary
Gary Aardahl

Re: Pre-1880 Naval Brigade Equipment...

Postby AlexHenry » 17 Nov 2013 23:27

Simon,
I can offer very little assistance. The only item I have is what I believe is a pistol ammunition pouch for the Deane and Adams revolver. I will dig out some photos and post them.

However you may be able to help me. I have been trying to gather examples of and information on the 1880s & 1890s equipments. In particular information on the brace assemblies used by seamen and officers in landing party rig. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ross
AlexHenry

Re: Naval Brigade / Landing Party Equipment pre 1880s

Postby HMS Troutbridge » 22 Apr 2014 19:15

Hi Ross,

The braces were relatively plain initially, I've not found many photos of these and only used with Martini Henry rifles, no cartridge carriers;
ImageImage

But at some point were changed for a more complicated design more in line with Army practise with a ring about 1/3 up at the front with straps leading to the blanket carrier;

In 1890 they had a loop riveted onto the shoulder portion to take the blanket straps, officers continued to be provided with the simpler braces for use with pistol rig but I have seen photos with the pattern shown in the drawing above being worn by officers too, carrying a blanket or with the blanket carrier left empty.

Good shot of the Officer's braces here;
HMS Troutbridge

Re: Naval Brigade / Landing Party Equipment pre 1880s

Postby tabony » 22 Apr 2014 22:31

Any good?
Attachments
Royal Navy other ranks.jpg
Royal Navy other ranks.jpg (50.73 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Royal Navy other ranks 2.jpg
Royal Navy other ranks 2.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
tabony
Veteran Member