A VWF Guide to Campaign Medals of the Victorian era

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: Medals of the Victorian Period - A Basic Intro'

Postby Unknownsoldier » 09 Aug 2008 21:06

Some bits taken from Marks site, other bits from British Battles and Medals.

I will add pictures and info on the bars etc. as time permits.

Almost Done............................ just one more medal write up and a few photo's although some are exceedingly rare and hard to find a decent piccy of.

Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Re: A VWF Guide to Campaign Medals of the Victorian era

Postby bob37 » 08 Jan 2010 11:33

My Great grandfather served in Burma for almost two years between 1840 and 1856 and China for almost 7 years and received medals for both. What would these medals have looked like and what and when were the campaigns fought. I understand the Burma Campaign resulted in a great loss of life from illness due to jungle diseases.
bob37

Postby QSAMIKE » 08 Jan 2010 14:59

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen......

All 26 Bars.....

Thought I might add this picture for your viewing pleasure.... I understand these were made up by the Master of the Mint for donation to various museums..... I have seen two in museums and one other in a private collection, I don't know how many were made......

Mike
Attachments
26 QSA 002.jpg
26 QSA 002.jpg (24.57 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby regimentalrogue » 09 Jan 2010 19:53

This page, showing a graphical timeline of British medals may be of interest, though I admit it has little practical application. :)

A Timeline of British Campaign Medals plus UN and NATO Medals from 1758 to present.
regimentalrogue

Postby dadsresearcher » 12 Apr 2010 21:37

I hope i'm not posting incorrectly here but i'm itching to show the community my contribution.

The following medals were awarded to my distant relative Sergeant Thomas Hamilton of the 84th.foot (York and lancaster)
I'm lead to believe he was one of the original defenders of Lucknow.
I would love to know any thing about the Meritorious service medal and indeed any information or pointers regarding either of these medals.
Attachments
final medal back.jpg
final medal back.jpg (222.21 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
final medal front.jpg
final medal front.jpg (218.93 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
dadsresearcher

Postby Darrell » 13 Apr 2010 00:44

Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 30 May 2010 00:58

Hello Unknown Soldier;

May I be permitted to congratulate you on providing such a great reference on Victorian campaign medals. It was quite a task to be able to provide not only excellent descriptions and details, but also to find such super illustrations. Well done indeed.

I've been interested in Egypt Medals since I was a lad and was wondering if I could add a couple of snippets of information to your great description;

1) All the standard reference books state that Egypt Medals issued to the Egyptian Army were named in Arabic or were left un-named. This is only partially correct and many were, in fact, named in English. I have a particular interest in the much-maligned Egyptian Army and have a manuscript on them, and their medals, currently waiting for publication ... I hope! I have acquired several Egypt Medals that are properly named in sloping capital letters, with serifs, and were awarded to Egyptian soldiers in the infantry and camel corps. Another friend has an example named to an Egyptian naval officer but I haven't convinced him to part with it yet.

2) The undated Khedive's Star was also awarded to troops who qualified for the Queeen's Egypt Medal, but only in the period afterthat for which the 1884-86 version was issued. Both British and Egyptian soldiers who served for the first time in the Sudan after 1885, and before the end of 1889, were awarded an undated Khedive's Star in addition to their Egypt Medal. Undated Stars to British soldiers are relatively uncommon but a few thousand were issued to Egyptian troops who also received the Egypt Medal.

Anyway, my apologies if I sound like I'm splitting hairs here but I thought this might add a little bit to your already excellent account of the Egypt Medal. Yours is a very useful source and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good, concise guide to British campaign medals. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Unknownsoldier » 05 Feb 2011 02:01

Hi Mark,

Many thanks, I can't take all the credit as much is taken from others work, many of the medals are mine others ar not too, I have tried to reference where possible :D

My apologies for the delay in reply as I have been incredibly busy of late :D

Thanks for the update on the Egypt Medal & Khedives Star, tbh Victorian medals are not entirely my speciality (mainly WW1/WW2 & Gallantry but I do try to keep as wider knowledge as possible :D). I am always keen to learn so anything anyone can add would be greatly appreciated :D

ATB,
Tom :D
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 05 Feb 2011 21:34

Hello Tom;

Welcome back, it's good to see you on " Active Service " again. I do hope that the new job turns out to be enjoyable and offers you more time for the Forum.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Unknownsoldier » 05 Feb 2011 22:50

Hi,

Thanks, TBH the job is mindnumbing but does at least give me soem free time in the evenings (no more 6 hour marking sessions! Yay :D). But I'm on the look out for a better job but so far :(

ATB,
Tom
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby acanthus » 17 Sep 2011 21:35

Hi,
I need some assistance in terms of identifying correct medals and or clasps (in particular the bars or clasps) for an officer of the Bombay Army who served in the the 2nd Sikh War 1848 - 1849, the Persian Campaign 1856 - 1857 and the Indian Mutiny.

His name was Archibald Williams Graham, he was an officer with the 4th Bombay Native Infantry - Rifle Corps, his first Season of Appointment was 1845 and he retired in 1878. Thanks.

Gordon
acanthus

Postby Isandlwana » 18 Sep 2011 17:16

Gordon,

It take it you've consulted Hart's Army List for him?

Just in case here's his entry for 1880:

Major General A.W. Graham served with the Bombay Column in the Punjaub campaign of 1848-49, including the siege and surrender of Mooltan, and [the] storm and capture of the town (Medal with Clasp). Served with the Persian expedition of 1856-57, and was presnt at the landing at Hallilah Bay, storming of Reshire, surrender of Bushire, and the battle of Khooshab (Medal with Clasp). Was present at the attack on the position of the rebel Bheels at Shumsherpoor in October 1857 with the force under Colonel Macan (severely wounded by ball through the ankle).

I hope that is of some use.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby acanthus » 18 Sep 2011 21:49

Hi John,

Thanks, yes I have this information and my conclusion was that he would have the clasp for MOOLTAN for the Punjab, the clasp PERSIA for the 1856 - 1857 Persian Campaign and the Indian Mutiny medal. As the study of medals is not a speciality of mine, I just wanted to be sure.

Gordon
acanthus

Postby Rifleman » 09 Apr 2012 14:06

Could you take it easy on a newcomer to the forum and tell me which medals would have been awarded to an officer who was appointed 2nd Lt 69th Foot in 1881, served in Natal 1881-1882 and then Egypt campaign 1888-1889 with the Welch Regiment, then in India from 1895-1902, promoted full colonel (later served WWI)?

Hope you might be able to help - I am writing a bio of this officer (FSL Penno) and would like to have my medal count right, but am not sure as to what he had other than the WWI trio.

Many thanks
Rifleman

Postby Mark A. Reid » 09 Apr 2012 16:58

Hello Rifleman;

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I had a look at the 1893 Army List and there is a Major FSLC Penno, Welsh Regt., mentioned as serving with the Local Forces, Victoria with the rank of Lt. Colonel. Unfortunately, there is no mention of any medal entitlement so he appears not to have served with the battalion that fought at GEMAIZAH in 1888, for which he would have earned an Egypt Medal and Khedive's Star. If this is your man, let us know and we can check for any further entitlement.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals