A VWF Guide to Campaign Medals of the Victorian era

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: A VWF Guide to Campaign Medals of the Victorian era

Postby Rifleman » 13 Apr 2012 08:18

Yes, that's our man. Here's some details of his service - as you noted, he did not serve at Gemaizah. Hope these details will help to find out his entitlement, if any...many thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide...

Colonel Penno was born in England in 1854. At nineteen years of age, viz. in 1873, he was gazetted to the old 69th Regiment, now the Second battalion of the Welsh Regiment, joining the depot at Milford Haven [in Pembrokeshire, Wales] and in the following spring he joined the service companies at Gibraltar. From 1878 to 1881 he was assistant musketry-instructor to his regiment, and in the latter year (the year in which ‘territorialism’ was introduced into the army) was promoted captain in the old 41st Regiment, which, under the territorial scheme, became the First Battalion of the Welsh Regiment.

The 41st were then at Gibraltar, under orders to proceed to Natal with the reinforcements under Sir Frederick Roberts, to take part in the campaign against the Boers. Colonel, then Captain, Penno served with the mounted infantry in Natal in 1881-82, under that distinguished soldier, Colonel Hallam Parr, C.M.G. From 1882 to 1887 he was adjutant of the 3rd Glamorgan Rifle Volunteers, and in August of the latter year he was appointed adjutant of his own battalion of the Welsh Regiment.

The Welsh were then in Egypt, whither Captain Penno at once repaired; but meeting with a severe accident on parade, he was prevented from being present with his regiment in the action at Gemaizah, near Suakim, in 1888. In July, 1889, he proceeded on active service up the Nile, under General Montmorency (now Lord Frankfort) against the dervishes. In the same year he went with his regiment to Malta, and in November was promoted major.

Colonel Penno married, in 1882, Laura, only daughter of the late Lieutenant Colonel J. W. Espinasse, of H.M. 12th Regiment.
Rifleman

Postby Mark A. Reid » 13 Apr 2012 16:14

Hello again;

I had a look through some Army Lists and found the following information on your man;

14 Apr 1898. - promoted Lt. Col.
19 Mar 1902 - Col.
In 1905 Asst. Adjt. General, Sirhind, India since 9 Mar 1902.

Disappears from the Army List between my 1906 and 1910 copies.

Under War Service it mentions " Served in Transvaal War in 1881 with Natal Field Force, served in operations on the Nile in 1889 with British Colonial Frontier Field Force. " In other words, no campaign medals mentioned.

A fellow called Allan John Lanyon Penno was commissioned a Second Lieut. in the Welsh Regt. on 10 Oct 1903, later promoted to Lieut. on 1 Jan 1908. Considering the date of his marriage, 1882, the choice of regiment, and the unusual surname, I suspect this is his son.

My library is pretty restricted to the Victorian period so you may want to consult later Army Lists for an account of his First World War service. Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby talisman » 27 Jun 2012 06:51

acanthus wrote:Hi,
I need some assistance in terms of identifying correct medals and or clasps (in particular the bars or clasps) for an officer of the Bombay Army who served in the the 2nd Sikh War 1848 - 1849, the Persian Campaign 1856 - 1857 and the Indian Mutiny.

His name was Archibald Williams Graham, he was an officer with the 4th Bombay Native Infantry - Rifle Corps, his first Season of Appointment was 1845 and he retired in 1878. Thanks.

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I hope this reply finds you after all this time. Are you related to Archibald William Graham ? I ask because I am and I have more information about him if you are interested.

Alistair Gordon
talisman

Previous

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals