Medal Roll Checks

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: Medal Roll Checks

Postby greek2me » 26 Jun 2009 16:54

I have a partial medal roll for the India General Service medal 1854
greek2me

Postby alisonl » 26 Aug 2009 11:08

Hi,

I've recently found a 'missing' Naval relative on a Blaltic Medal Roll fo the ship HMS St Vincent ( Wiliam Hurl). There are approximately 15 names on the list, my relative and one other have the comments about posting the medal and other description left blank.

Does this mean that the medal was never sent for some reason? I'm thinking that perhaps it was awarded after death.

Any information gratefully received.

Alison
alisonl

Postby klr1202 » 04 Dec 2009 21:36

Hi All,

I wondered if someone who had medal rolls from the 2nd Afghan War could help me. I have just found out that my g.g. grandad served in the 2nd Btn 9th Norfolk regiment. I wonder if he appeared on the medal roll at all and whether it had his army number listed? His name was Ambrose Prior (although he later changed his name to Ambrose Hutchings?) according to an article he served from 1870 until 1880 in the regiment.

Any information would be useful, I really appreciate your help... I'm a bit new to this!

Many thanks,

Kelly Robinson klr1202

Private message
klr1202

Postby Darrell » 05 Dec 2009 00:09

Appears many have bought the Medal Rolls sold on CD on e-bay ;)

Me too :)
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Alfromeo » 07 Dec 2009 19:45

Maiwander,

I understand that there is a medal roll for Indian regiments and units for the 2nd Afghan war lounging around in the India Office in London. However, many have tried to locate it but failed...maybe we should get Indiana Jones to prise it out as he is used to dusty archives!!

Unfortunately your understanding is not correct - there is a roll, but only for European Officer, NCOs and Staff. I had hoped a roll might survive, but after 15 years of wondering the India Office, both at the Bridge pre reorg and post move to BL, I have found no evidence that it exist.

The facts are that the majority of native rolls - 1st Afghan, Sutlej, Punjab, IGS Series, AoI, China, 2ns Afghan etc were never sent to London - but that Numerical Returns, the odd roll (by an over zealous Adjutant??) and some receipt books were.

Best,

Mark
Alfromeo

Postby rene oliver » 05 Mar 2010 17:05

Hi to all Medal Roll Checkers.

Do you have to have the Regiment and Army number to check a medal roll. Would just the name suffice ?just to get an idea of which Regiment the soldier was in.

I do have a name, army number and Regment. BUT I think after the Afghan Anglo 2 war my man may have attached himself to another Regiment and we seem to have lost him.

Rene Oliver
rene oliver

Postby Garen » 06 Mar 2010 11:09

Hello Rene

It is possible to go through the entire medal roll searching for just a name, but there are a couple of problems with that: firstly, it can take ages - for instance the Afghan War medal roll (on CD) is over 1600 pages of handwriting with varying degrees of legibility and it takes a lot of concentration to make sure you're not missing anything; secondly, if you do find the name, you cannot always be sure you have the right person - there may be someone with exactly the same name in another regiment, or maybe no one - but to do the job properly, you'd have to check the entire roll anyway to make sure.

A few times I have searched almost the entire roll looking for a name for someone, starting with the most likely regiments and working my way through, thinking "they have to be here somewhere!". At the end, after an hour or probably more searching, I end up with nothing and it can be very frustrating - especially as you can't be sure if you zoned out a bit halfway through. (One of the things that stopped me doing this was having several of these in a row and no thanks from the enquirers - but that's a side issue!).

Best - Garen
The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Postby creep » 05 Apr 2010 04:23

Hi Mark, I hope you can help me. My g-Grandfather was from his obit in the 1882 Egypt Campaign. Can you look in the 1882 Medal Rolls? He was at Woolwich and was born In Manchester England. I have a picture of him in his uniform however no one can Identify yet. I will try to post it on the uniform posts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
creep

Postby Mark » 05 Apr 2010 10:49

creep wrote:Hi Mark, I hope you can help me. My g-Grandfather was from his obit in the 1882 Egypt Campaign. Can you look in the 1882 Medal Rolls? He was at Woolwich and was born In Manchester England. I have a picture of him in his uniform however no one can Identify yet. I will try to post it on the uniform posts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

The rolls are many pages long and divided down into regiments. To perform a look-up we will ideally need his number, surname and regiment. Without these we could be searching for hours. Please post the photo in the uniform section and maybe someone can identify the regiment. This in itself could narrow things down considerably - providing he didn't serve in a different regiment in 1882.

The joys of research :lol:

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby creep » 05 Apr 2010 17:56

my file seems to be too big to upload .. but I will try again tonite.. Thanks...
creep

Postby kaiser » 27 Jul 2010 23:31

Can now add the following, QSA: 1st&2nd Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers, 2nd Btn Connaught Rangers, A&SH, KFS, KOYLI, Royal Scots, The Queens, Devon Regt, Suffolks, Somerset LI, West Yorkshire Regt: IGS 95 A&SH, 3rd RB, HLI, KOYLI, The Queens, WO100/65 (Egypt/Sudan 1884-86 part roll), China 1900 RA, Burma 1885-87, Burma 1887-89.

Regards Andrew
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby Jane Masri » 06 Sep 2010 16:11

I'm interested in any further information that might be contained on the medal roll for the INDIAN MUTINY,
Patrick Whyte, corporal in 84th Foot, 2nd battalion.

Many thanks,
Jane
Jane Masri

Postby wasfuman » 07 Sep 2010 10:26

Hi, If of any help to members, I have the complete roll for the Kimberley Town Guard, and their entitlements to the Defence of Kimberley clasp on the QSA Medal. I obtained the roll in my researches for Dr Henry Symonds who was a member of the Kimberley Ambulance Corps, one of the units comprising the KTG.

Personally, I am interested in any occurrence of the Surname SYMONDS throughout any campaign or theatre of war together with the individual's entitlement(s). Any reciprocal help here from members holding medal rolls would be most welcome indeed.

best wishes

Richard
wasfuman

Postby kaiser » 21 Sep 2010 16:33

A few more to add,

Punjab 1849: 10th, 24th, 32nd, 61st Foot
IGS Perek/Jowaki
China 1900 British officers of native units
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby kaiser » 23 Sep 2010 07:54

Comming thick and fast can add the Sudan 1898-99 and Ashanti 1900
kaiser

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals