Army Medical Corp

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Army Medical Corp

Postby Spirokeat » 05 Nov 2010 19:45

Can anybody help me with the uniform of medical staff during the Sudan Campaign, not sure whether it should be khaki, grey or the same as the parent regiment, thank you.

Roderick Shaw
Spirokeat

Re: Army Medical Corp

Postby zerostate » 23 Nov 2010 04:25

I suppose it depends on which Sudan campaign you are referring to!

I'm not up on campaign uniform, but the RAMC was not formed until 1898 - before that it was the Army Medical Department.

If you are referring to the first campaign, I believe the docs wore the same as the regiment they were attached to, as in those days they were part of the regiment, not part of a separate corps. That said, they probably wore what they wanted.

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Isandlwana » 23 Nov 2010 09:48

Roderick,

There's a very good photograph of a member of the Medical Staff Corps from the period of the 1st Sudan Campaign on the excellent Soldiers of the Queen website, see http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/page6 ... 884-5.html

Zerostate,

Just to put you on the right path on a couple of things:

I'm not up on campaign uniform, but the RAMC was not formed until 1898 - before that it was the Army Medical Department.

The Army Medical Department was formed in 1873, when the regimental surgeons system was done away with. However, the other-ranks came from the Army Hospital Corps, which existed from 1857 until 1884, and from 1884 until 1898 the Medical Staff Corps. The Medical Staff Corps & the Army Medical Department merged in 1898 to become the Royal Army Medical Corps.

If you are referring to the first campaign, I believe the docs wore the same as the regiment they were attached to, as in those days they were part of the regiment, not part of a separate corps. That said, they probably wore what they wanted.

As mentioned in my above reply the system of regimental surgeons ceased in 1873, from that time on officers of the Army Medical Department wore their own uniform rather than that of the unit to which they were attached.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby zerostate » 23 Nov 2010 12:49

Thanks for the correction - very interesting!

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Spirokeat » 15 Dec 2010 22:27

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your assistance.

Roderick Shaw
Spirokeat

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals