MASTER THREAD: Slade-Wallace Equipment

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: MASTER THREAD: Slade-Wallace Equipment

Postby AlexReece » 11 Jan 2016 21:19

GrantRCanada wrote:Only after posting the above did I see the photos posted by AlexReese ... presumably the buff cross-belt with its rear pouch would only have been worn in a "dress" or "ceremonial" order of some sort, for which a brown leather bandolier would have been inappropriate, so maybe it is feasible that this is indeed a spare magazine pouch for cavalry ....

So it may indeed be used for cavalry, very interesting.

Alex
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 13 Jan 2016 15:55

rd72 wrote:HI there. It certainly has the appropriate straps on the back for vertically mounting on the brace, doesn't it?

I haven't seen any examples with the adjustable strap on the outside. Interesting. Maybe it's for closure when empty or full? I wonder if the small tab on top is for attachment to the buckle at the front of the brace so the pouch is held at a consistent height above the main pouch?

In the pictures and artwork I have seen, there isn't a strap but rather a simple flap with a noticeable angle to it to accommodate the magazine upside down (I would think)..

Might you obtain measurements? I can provide those for the Mk I mag to see if they match...

They were introduced with the equipment in 1888 but were withdrawn in 1890 LoC 6233 (and the spare magazines LoC 6235) which would explain their rarity.

Hello Rob

The Measurements for the pouch are....

M Pouch (700x634).jpg
M Pouch (700x634).jpg (386.61 KiB) Viewed 754 times

M Pouch 2 (467x700).jpg
M Pouch 2 (467x700).jpg (280.27 KiB) Viewed 754 times

Regards Alex
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby rd72 » 15 Jan 2016 08:51

Alex,

Here is the magazine with dimensions...

Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby AlexReece » 15 Jan 2016 11:58

Cheers Rob

Well seems like the mag would fit the pouch although snug in places, was interesting what GrantRcanada said about different size mags and it maybe for cavalry and I guess one of the first pattern of magazine pouch's produced ?..all intesting suff indeed.

Thanks Rob

Alex
Last edited by AlexReece on 15 Jan 2016 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Jan 2016 16:33

Another possible factor: did the dimensions of the original 8-round magazine of the Mark I Lee-Metford differ?
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby rd72 » 16 Jan 2016 01:42

GrantRCanada wrote:Another possible factor: did the dimensions of the original 8-round magazine of the Mark I Lee-Metford differ?

Not quite sure which you are comparing, Grant. The picture is of a Mk I mag. The pouches were withdrawn before the adoption of the Mk II LM with it's double stacked mag... Therefore, the only mag that was intended to fit into the pouch would be the Mk I, no?

Re the Cavalry connection,....

The Mk I LM Carbine was adopted in 1894 (LoC 7751), four years after the withdrawal of spare magazines... Would that seem to moot the issue? Thoughts?

I seem to be drawn towards a compass pouch for some reason....
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby AlexReece » 16 Jan 2016 09:48

rd72 wrote:
GrantRCanada wrote:Another possible factor: did the dimensions of the original 8-round magazine of the Mark I Lee-Metford differ?

Not quite sure which you are comparing, Grant. The picture is of a Mk I mag. The pouches were withdrawn before the adoption of the Mk II LM with it's double stacked mag... Therefore, the only mag that was intended to fit into the pouch would be the Mk I, no?

Re the Cavalry connection,....

The Mk I LM Carbine was adopted in 1894 (LoC 7751), four years after the withdrawal of spare magazines... Would that seem to moot the issue? Thoughts?

I seem to be drawn towards a compass pouch for some reason....

Rob

After comparing the size of the pouch and MK1 mag I'm not so sure now that it is for the purpose we thought ? l think the MK1 mag would fit but like I said it would be a snug fit in places. As for it being for cavalry ? surly the bandolier was the main stay for all LM ammo now and no need for such a pouch ?
Grant did say maybe it was for cavalry dress as the bandolier was inappropriate for such ?
Just to add more to the questions, a loose Martini round fits perfect and I would say a packet would fit ( Rob have you the packet size for ten rounds ) but now I think I'm stabbing in the dark ? the pouch seems later circa than that and the 1878 pattern Expence Cavalry Pouch had that role yes ?

Cheers All

Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby bongofury » 28 Feb 2016 08:14

Albert J , thought you might be interested in this....
lanarkshire p1888.png
lanarkshire p1888.png (226.16 KiB) Viewed 638 times
bongofury

Postby gregory128 » 12 Jun 2016 23:47

Evening Gentlemen.
After some correspondence with Khaki web, we have not sadly (yet) been able to find out exactly what regiment the colonial regiment belonged too. However we have found some possible examples from photographic evidence. I thought you mind find a couple of the images interesting. Presumably circa 1900, i think the second images dates too 1903+, it seems plausible that the equipment i incorrectly designated is one of the of following designs.

gregory128

Abbreviation

Postby servicepub » 29 Jan 2017 21:49

Any thoughts on the unit shown on this SW belt? Marking is 25 . S . R . A
Attachments
IMG_6187.JPG
IMG_6187.JPG (74.62 KiB) Viewed 364 times
servicepub
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Jan 2017 22:24

Royal Artillery without a doubt. Probably a lettered Brigade, 'S' and numbered company, '25', but that is me surmising only.

Afternote: looking at the RA organisation for 1885, I have not been able to find a match for the 'S' and '25' designation. Perhaps it relates to a later period. I cannot find anything that suggests artillery militia (Suffolk and Sussex), or artillery volunteers (numerous), either.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: MASTER THREAD: Slade Wallis Equipment

Postby walrus » 27 Sep 2017 03:44

The RQM wrote:The first is an original .303 bandolier and the second a reproduction of the Slade Wallace with the last pattern ammo pouches and the third a reproduction of the actual valise.
Cheers
Stan Dolan
PS I take it my photos are too large. Try following the links if possible.

Yes difficult to Post anything here now.
walrus

Previous

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals