Water bottles: patterns in use in the late Victorian era?

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: Water bottles: patterns in use in the late Victorian era

Postby AlexReece » 03 Apr 2015 07:45

Hello Every One.

Been a while since a post has been on here, I have this bottle and its almost identical to Andrews item that was posted earlier within this subject, but just A note about the felt covers on these bottles as most are khaki and self explanatory but some are Navy blue.
Would the blue felt indicate Artillery/Medical use as obviously the Khaki is Infantry ?

Now my bottle here belonged to the moth battalion as shows 8)....I think its the same as Andrews being a private purchase.

Bottle 1 (516x387).jpg
Bottle 1 (516x387).jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 559 times

Bottle 2.jpg
Bottle 2.jpg (101.67 KiB) Viewed 559 times
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 03 Apr 2015 08:06

I've not seen a blue one before either. I wonder if the Royal Navy issued them too for their shore parties. Great find anyway!
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Albert J » 03 Apr 2015 14:16

AlexReece wrote:Hello Every One.

Been a while since a post has been on here, I have this bottle and its almost identical to Andrews item that was posted earlier within this subject, but just A note about the felt covers on these bottles as most are khaki and self explanatory but some are Navy blue.
Would the blue felt indicate Artillery/Medical use as obviously the Khaki is Infantry ?

Now my bottle here belonged to the moth battalion as shows 8)....I think its the same as Andrews being a private purchase.

Alex,

The blue felt covered water bottles I come across always seem to be made by Samuel and Sons, Hobson and Sons, Army Navy Co-Op, or Bryan's. That being said, this would put them in the category of officer's "private purchase". With regards to being issued to medical or artillery personnel of the Boer War, or the 1895-1902 period in general, it is certainly conceivable that medical/artillery officer's could have purchased and carried them. Identifying this in period photos can be tricky, with officer's dressed as the ranks, one might identify,say an artillery officer as a ranker carrying a dark covered water bottle and assume it an issue item to the ranks.

Many officer's of all branches carried the Mk.IV water bottle with various felt coverings and leather straps. Not just the other types available, types of which are pictured in the previous pages of this thread. I have one in my collection by Hobson and Son's (lacking the wide lip) with dark blue felt and bridle leather shoulder sling, and a gilt chain retaining the stopper. There are also versions that I understand were carried by the Home Guard later in the early part of the 20th Century.Whether or not these were provided by the above mentioned makers, or produced by Government contractors, I cannot be certain.

James
Albert J

Postby AlexReece » 03 Apr 2015 14:36

Thanks James & frogsmile, seems that these Boer War canteens can be a tricky subject, dread to think that I may have a home guard bottle :roll: . Interestingly I read online that similar types of these bottles was also issued to Woman's Ambulance drivers during world war 1, if they was re-issued from surplus or made for them pacifically I cannot remember.
If I find the info about this I will post here..

So many variations did exist and can see why it may cause confusion on the subject.

Alex.
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 03 Apr 2015 15:32

An interesting WW1 photo of a Voluntary Red Cross Aid with what looks like a Boer War canteen and haversack ?
Just shows that surplus was not wasted.

Red Cross WW1 (321x480).jpg
Red Cross WW1 (321x480).jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 542 times
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby RobD » 03 Apr 2015 19:11

M C Heunis of the OVSAC South African re-enactors group has written an excellent little research monograph with many illustrations on canteens used (by both sides) in the ABW. It is too big to attach here, but if anyone sends me a private message with their email address, I'll send it to them.
Rob
RobD
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 04 Apr 2015 19:23

Hello RobD

Many thanks for the info you sent me, I recommend this to all members interested in the Boer War.

Great information Rob.

Regards Alex.
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby canteenmanusa » 15 Apr 2015 21:28

mr. James, Mr. Alex, In front of me, I have two "back covered blue enameled bottles. Mark 11 and Mark IV. The Mark 2 teardrop necked, screw stopper black straped one is definitely regular felt covered which appears black dyed. It's black strap has inked on it's inside "Corp(space)OFFr ........(space) D.E(something maybe e or t) 2 inches space then A.A.B.???? The second black covered one is Mark IV Hobson and Sons(Private Purchase?) with black strap,but the cover is definitely NOT felt. It is more woven duck or canvas.No other identifiers. I hope this adds something or stimulates additional input. Max Z. (canteenmanUSA)
canteenmanusa

Postby AlexReece » 15 Apr 2015 22:01

Hello Mr Canteenmanusa

If not to trouble you so, would some images of your canteens be available for us to see, you have my attention :D

I'm sure Sir James will cast his excellent wisdom.....

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby canteenmanusa » 16 Apr 2015 00:15

ImageMk 2 black cover, inked strap detailed above max Z.
canteenmanusa

Postby canteenmanusa » 16 Apr 2015 00:24

Image mark 4 black cover NOT FELT, canvas-duck maybe?
canteenmanusa

Postby canteenmanusa » 16 Apr 2015 00:40

Gentlemen, While we are all here! Has anyone ever seen or can identify a "Big Gulp-King Size" extra large enameled blue Mark 1 water bottle that is exactly twice the capacity of the regular Marks enameled oblate spheroid water bottles? This larger version holds 58 ounces, while the regular size holds 29 ounces. It is exactly alike in every detail including the winged mark 1 stopper. It is just jumbo. Medical maybe? Ambulance equipment?Image Max Z. (canteenmanusa)
canteenmanusa

Postby Gary Aardahl » 30 May 2015 19:22

I've not followed this thread for awhile and after seeing the last few posts, I thought I'd thank all for the wonderful info and images they've posted on this subject. I have a few examples of MkIII & IV bottles, a couple with missing covers, a couple with the khaki felt covers, but one Mk IV with a dk. blue woven cloth wool cover. It seems to be a standard ORs bottle as the neck, stopper and chain all appear as the khaki Mk IVs I have. The images I've seen here as well as mine all show the blue covers to be woven and not felt as the khaki versions.

I've not collected officer's items so would not be familiar with whether theirs would typically be covered with a woven vs felt cover as the ORs examples. One collector in England that I corresponded with suggested that the dk blue covers were Yeomanry, but he had no reference to back this up. It's a fascinating subject! Thanks to all for their posts!
Cheers,
Gary
Gary Aardahl

Postby AlexReece » 18 Feb 2017 17:08

Hello Fellow Members

Excellent thread and thanks to all for showing their canteens :wink:
Last edited by AlexReece on 19 Feb 2017 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby servicepub » 18 Feb 2017 19:47

Grateful if I could get an ID (model and era) on this water bottle.
Clive
Attachments
IMG_6770a.jpg
IMG_6770a.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 164 times
servicepub
Participating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals