Buckle ID Please

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Buckle ID Please

Postby AlexReece » 14 Nov 2017 15:54

Hello Chaps

Victorian Indian General Service ?

I can see the VR but not last cypher ( I ? )

Regards Alex

Buckle 1.jpg
Buckle 1.jpg (183.66 KiB) Viewed 102 times
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Re: Buckle ID Please

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Nov 2017 17:51

Yes, I think it is VRI Alex. Victoria Regina Imperatrix, as you will no doubt know. I agree that it suggests India GS, but I do not have dress Regulations old enough to check for sure.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 14 Nov 2017 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby AlexReece » 14 Nov 2017 17:59

Frogsmile wrote:Yes, I think it is VRI Alex. Victoria Regina Imperatrix, as you will no doubt know.

Indeed Frogsmile always good to get another opinion, thank you.

Alex
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 14 Nov 2017 23:15

Frogsmile wrote:Yes, I think it is VRI Alex. Victoria Regina Imperatrix, as you will no doubt know. I agree that it suggests India GS, but I do not have dress Regulations old enough to check for sure.

As we know some British Regts of foot used that style of imperial crown on collars, I think around 1870s - 1880s before the C reforms ? but it remained in use a few more decades later in India, making me think the clasp is Indian Pattern ?

55804 (343x265).jpg
55804 (343x265).jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 44 times

One detail makes me think a bit off track though and that's the obvious English oak tree leaves as used British line Regts, most period & later British Indian badges etc have a laurel leaf surround ?

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals