Can you help ID this uniform please

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Can you help ID this uniform please

Postby ardyer » 24 Sep 2017 16:36

I am interested in the young lad in uniform on the right. I can't place his collar badge and wonder if that is a Good Conduct chevron, in which case he must already have served several years despite his youth? I would date it to mid 1890s from the female fashions.

https://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk ... -404-03jpg

Please follow this link above and under the photo you have the option to "view larger image".
ardyer

Re: Can you help ID this uniform please

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Sep 2017 18:52

He is a Royal Field Artillery gunner in walking out dress circa 1890-95. The brass collar badge (a grenade) was introduced for Royal Artillery uniform in 1881 (from 1905 used for numerous other purposes/units), at the same time as the good conduct 'badge' (actually a stripe) was moved from right to left cuff. He has 2-years of blemish free service and at that time boy-service counted towards good conduct (this was later changed). He wears the pill box forage cap that was replaced in 1902 and, as well as the RA 9-button blue tunic with its golden yellow decorative trim, he wears the overalls, boots and spurs of a mounted duty soldier. For the same reason he carries a 'whip' rather than the swagger cane/stick of a dismounted duty unit. Another unique feature is the coloured 'girdle', a forerunner of coloured stable belts: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/a ... ra1904.htm
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby theironduke1 » 24 Sep 2017 22:12

I'm thinking that this photo was taken at a later date. The coloured girdle replaced the white waist belt in 1904 according to Alistair Campbells's "Dress of the Royal Artillery". It was 1/2 Inch red, 1/2 inch blue, 1/4inch yellow 1/2 inch blue and 1/2 inch red. As the peaked forage cap was not issued till 1906 he probably still wore the pilll box. The Brodrick cap was not universally adopted in the RA.
theironduke1

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Sep 2017 22:44

I think you must be right theironduke1, I should have checked my copy of Campbell's book. The girdle is a clear give away. The colours can be seen in the illustration of the image I linked to above, which shows the 1906 issued cap that you referred to.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby ardyer » 25 Sep 2017 15:16

Thank you Frogsmile and The Iron Duke for your assistance and good to hear The Iron Duke is back in action after the hurricane.
ardyer

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Sep 2017 17:03

ardyer wrote:Thank you Frogsmile and The Iron Duke for your assistance and good to hear The Iron Duke is back in action after the hurricane.

Glad to help as always. Ironically I had posted previously about the girdle and RFA uniform here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6113&hilit=Girdle
Senility must be catching up with me. :wink:
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby ardyer » 25 Sep 2017 20:05

I noticed after posting the photo link that his peaked forage cap is at his feet, very near to where the glass of the plate is broken off. That then would date it to at least 1906 as you say.
ardyer

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals