Egypt Medal and Khedvies Star

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Egypt Medal and Khedvies Star

Postby Blackblue » 22 Sep 2017 22:49

A friend has these medals to a relative, but they are simply named to J.Barlow.

I assume a civilian award? Wondered if anyone could provide advice on determining the recipient please?

Rgds

Tim D
Blackblue

Re: Egypt Medal and Khedvies Star

Postby Mark A. Reid » 22 Sep 2017 23:43

Hello Tim;

This sounds rather odd to me. Medals to naval and military recipients have their rank, unit/ship, etc. included in the official naming of the Egypt Medal whilst the Khedive's Star was not officially named, although some individuals and even units had them impressed or engraved with certain identifying information. Even Egypt Medals officially awarded to civilians were usually named to "Mr." or the recipient's title. Is this a dated 1882 Egypt Medal and 1882 Star? Some more information might help us identify the man although I am doubtful that this is an official naming.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Re: Egypt Medal and Khedvies Star

Postby Blackblue » 23 Sep 2017 13:01

Thanks Mark,
1882 Egypt Medal and un-named Star. Just J.Barlow on the Egypt Medal apparently.

I have found a John Barlow in the Egypt Medal Roll who appears to have been a railways shed foreman in Cairo. Would be a strong candidate.

Tim D
Blackblue

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals