'Crossed Bugles' emblem

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

'Crossed Bugles' emblem

Postby jf42 » 15 Sep 2017 09:25

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I was not aware of the existence of this piece of insignia, which I gather was worn by Colour Sgts of Territorial Battalions with a previous Rifles connections or ancestry. I should be interested to know more about its origins.

What was the merit of two interlinked bugle-horns as opposed to a single bugle?
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: 'Crossed Bugles' emblem

Postby Frogsmile » 15 Sep 2017 09:54

I had been musing about the double bugles myself, JF, and I am surmising that it was a differential of the VRC/VBs. When the rank of Colour Sergeant was introduced it was applied across the board with even those corps without colours adopting the rank and a 'special' badge to mark its status. It was always intended to be high profile as the senior other rank within a fighting or administrative sub-unit. For line infantry and RMLI, plus Foot Guards and RE the badge was based on a depiction of Sovereign's Colours, but for Rifles and other arms other variations were devised. For regular rifles the badge invariably consisted of a crowned laurel wreath encircling crossed swords with a single bugle-horn beneath. Many, but not all of the VRC/VB examples that I have seen omit the laurel wreath and replace the single bugle horn with a pair, slightly overlapping on a horizontal plane. The RA badge seems to have been shortlived and the title was soon changed to 'Company Sergeant'. I do not know what the rationale was for Volunteer units to have a variety of badges.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby grumpy » 15 Sep 2017 12:32

from my notes from RACD ledgers NA.

14. 5.07
Badges Wstd embroidered drill frocks [ED KD therefore overseas] : stars qms, wheel, gun,crossed hatchets,crossed trumpets, bugles, horse shoe, spurs, drum, hammer & pincers, bits, crown, grenades, crowns small,crossedbugles, crowns large

There is evidence that the authorities had tried over a considerable period to standardise bugle or paired bugle badges ...... and failed.

If a unit issued paired bugle badges to its buglers and bugle-major it is highly likely that the CSjts would include the paired bugle in their badge.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 15 Sep 2017 13:32

Thanks, gentlemen. That all makes sense

Given how sophisticated badges and insignia had become by the end of the C19th, I have to say I don't think 'crossed' or 'paired bugles' is a very distinguished piece of design. It is neither particularly clear or attractive.

For TF Colour Sergeants,they surely could have come up with a variant of 'A crowned laurel wreath encircling crossed swords with a single bugle-horn beneath',' which served the purpose admirably.

For bugle majors, I wonder why they didn't choose a badge based on a single bugle horn embellished, for instance, with a laurel wreath, or something similar.

A little late to speculate, I realise. This probably represents seeking a mares' nest within a bolted stable door, or some such, but the reasoning behind such decisions interests me.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals