The Most Exalted Order of The Star of India

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

The Most Exalted Order of The Star of India

Postby acanthus » 14 Sep 2017 02:34

Seven questions which I'm hoping will have answers.

1. Does anyone know who actually made the various insignia for this order; in particular the decoration for a CSI?

2. Does anybody know where the decorations where supposed to be returned to after the recipient' s death?

3. If returned to a Central Chancery, where was the point of return located?

4. After a decoration was returned to the Chancery? what was done with the decorations.

5. Where they cleaned and re-used for presentation to other recipients?

6. If not represented, and still extant, where would they be kept?

7. Or were the decorations recycled to recovered precious metal etc.?
acanthus

Re: The Most Exalted Order of The Star of India

Postby crimea1854 » 14 Sep 2017 07:58

I think the following link will answer your first question : https://www.emedals.com/the-most-exalted-order-of-the-star-of-india-gb2142.

With regards your other questions I think, given the nature of the recipients status, it is highly unlikely that after their death the order would have been returned.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Sep 2017 11:12

I believe that Martin is correct and once awarded the honour belongs to the recipient. Sometimes handed down through family, most of them end up in museums when part of a group, or are eventually sold at auction to collectors.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 14 Sep 2017 16:05

As a medal collector, I know of no British medal that was "On Loan" until the recipient died. Once awarded, it is the possession of the recipient. Then it goes into our collections. I have a Tibet and Natal medal coming to me in the mail....Tibet today, Natal next week, according to tracking. The Tibet medal in bronze.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby acanthus » 14 Sep 2017 18:44

Thanks all for the feed-back, and based on the answers, I thought I might tell you that I have very little specific knowledge on the subject of medals in general, and my questions were prompted by a book reference in relation to this particular order.

A reference which clearly states that in reference the Star of India, and I quote the passage from the book:

"The insignia of the Order has always been returnable to the Central Chancery on death, but recipients or their families were, for a short time, allowed to purchase the insignia, after the Order was discontinued in 1947."

Hence my questions so I could learn something on the subject.

Further to that, my questions were primarily prompted by a search for information (and the insignia) by a member of the family of a recipient of the CSI; and I do know for a fact that the insignia was handed back to a government department, after the recipient has passed away; and I have seen written conformation of that.
acanthus

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 14 Sep 2017 19:16

This is not a military medal, and as acanthus pointed out, there are directions for the return or purchase of the medal. If you wiki this medal, all the recipiants were heads of state or political types.

I wonder if the family of recipient Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the Sultan of Baroda, got a letter from the British government to send back or payoff the medal after his death.

The American Presidential Medal of Freedom is sort of an equivalent. Sort of. Margret Thatcher has one as well as Aretha Franklin for singing "R-E-S-P-E-C-T".

This sort of award is out of my knowledge so my previous answer is sadly wrong.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby Frogsmile » 15 Sep 2017 07:50

acanthus wrote:Thanks all for the feed-back, and based on the answers, I thought I might tell you that I have very little specific knowledge on the subject of medals in general, and my questions were prompted by a book reference in relation to this particular order.

A reference which clearly states that in reference the Star of India, and I quote the passage from the book:

"The insignia of the Order has always been returnable to the Central Chancery on death, but recipients or their families were, for a short time, allowed to purchase the insignia, after the Order was discontinued in 1947."

Hence my questions so I could learn something on the subject.

Further to that, my questions were primarily prompted by a search for information (and the insignia) by a member of the family of a recipient of the CSI; and I do know for a fact that the insignia was handed back to a government department, after the recipient has passed away; and I have seen written conformation of that.

I am amazed to learn of an award that had to be returned after death and had never heard of such a thing. Thank you for explaining. We seem to learn something new every day in erudite forums like this.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals