ID please of man in dress unifom in cocked hat

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Re: ID please of man in dress unifom in cocked hat

Postby ardyer » 10 Sep 2017 14:30

Frogsmile and t100
I found this a most interesting discussion which took me a little while to absorb so I can apply it to other photographs, thank you so much for your team work
ardyer

Postby t100 » 09 Oct 2017 08:57

Frogsmile wrote: Looking at the uniform in the image that you have posted I am at a loss to identify differences between a Sherrif's and a Lieutenant's dress uniform.

I just remembered that I meant to come back on this one. High Sheriff was primarily a legal appointment, and there is no indication that there was a special military-style uniform as there was for Lieutenants. I believe it was simply that, either by design or convention, most if not all Sheriffs were also Deputy Lieutenants. In retrospect this point is underlined by the subject of this thread - presumably he was a DL for an adjacent welsh County, and wore that uniform despite being an English sheriff. Currently Sheriffs wear court dress, I imagine a Victorian sheriff who was not a DL may have defaulted to the same.

T100
t100
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 09 Oct 2017 13:01

Not as straight forward as I'd hoped, but thank you.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Previous

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals