Uniform and cap badge ID please

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Uniform and cap badge ID please

Postby ardyer » 25 Aug 2017 07:12

I am interested in this photograph. My usual suspects are KSLI or Herefordshire Rifle Volunteers. I thought one cap badge was KSLI but it has a crown. Also I don't know what the four pointed stars are. I wonder what the occasion is, flowers and silverware in the background and a wine bottle on a table on extreme left
Context is within easy reach of a Hereford -based photographer.
Do the different types of headgear allow dating?

https://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk ... tyPhoto/0/

Please use the link and under photo you can click for larger image.
ardyer

Re: Uniform and cap badge ID please

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Aug 2017 10:24

Great photo of Rifle Volunteers at annual Summer Camp, very evocative of the period with the boating blazers, etc. Probably Herefordshire, but might also be Shropshire given the close relationship between the two Counties at that time.

At least three of the men are sergeants, as marked out by the white pouch (aka 'cross') belts that were a mark of sergeants in rifle units in lieu of the scarlet worsted sash worn by other line infantry. White equipment makes clear that although Rifles the unit is scarlet clad and not rifle green or grey.

The 4-pointed star is known as the Proficiency Star. When a volunteer was promoted to sergeant he was supposed to be assessed in various skills essential to the proficient delivery of his duties within one year. It was not obligatory but possession of the badge made clear that you were not just time-served, but actually proficient in the duties expected of a sergeant.

The style of the round forage caps worn by the sergeants and the glengarry caps worn by the rank and file suggest a date of around 1880. New style forage caps were beginning to be introduced for regulars that year and the glengarry was replaced by a folding field cap in the late 1890s, although volunteers were equipped (and funded) by County Associations and so the replacement arrangements could be on a different time scale (later) than for regulars.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 25 Aug 2017 13:39, edited 3 times in total.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby RobD » 25 Aug 2017 11:18

Here is the badge of the Hereford Rifle Volunteers and the badge worn by the fellow with the dog on his lap.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.14.21.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.14.21.png (80.31 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.14.07.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.14.07.png (678.37 KiB) Viewed 147 times
RobD

Postby ardyer » 25 Aug 2017 16:45

Frogsmile
Thank you very much for such a full and interesting analysis of the photograph.
RobD
Thank you for the enlargement.Yes I am familiar with the 69 cap badge but had dismissed the thought as the one in the picture looked to have letters rather than numbers.
ardyer

Postby t100 » 29 Aug 2017 09:55

On a separate subject, having gone through this very interesting collection (great quality and I am also from Herefordshire which is a bonus!), it's pretty clear that most if not all of the KSLI pictures are specifically of the 4th Battalion KSLI (ex-Herefordshire Militia). In my experience, it's uncommon to see lots of good quality militia images, so these are quite a find.

These militia photos have some really interesting features, insofar as they demonstrate the time lag in adopting the 1881 changes (lots of mixed dress), and also some interesting divergence from the regulations requiring militia to assimilate with regulars.
t100
Participating Member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals