Uniform ID please

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Uniform ID please

Postby ardyer » 22 Aug 2017 20:43

https://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk ... wordjpg#pr

Please can I have some help with this uniform. Is he a bandsman, a lancer? I cant even find anything like this on the excellent uniformology website. I am willing to stick my neck out and date it to 1893-1902.
The context is that he was photographed in a photographic studio in Hereford. I hope the link above works. It gives you the option of enlarging the image to look at details.
ardyer

Re: Uniform ID please

Postby Frogsmile » 22 Aug 2017 20:52

He's a thespian dressed as a Ruritanian type fantasy Lancer. Notice neither riding boots, nor spurs, and a bizarre mix of shoulder wings and caplines tied, arbitrarily crossways, over his chest. Some elements of real uniform have been used including a lancer tunic with 'plastron' front and a befeathered Czapka cap, but the whole arrangement is theatrical fantasy.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: Uniform ID please

Postby ardyer » 23 Aug 2017 08:12

Frogsmile
Well that explains everything, I suppose I had to have one in fancy dress. It also explains the poor fit of the tunic and possibly the fact that he was so pleased with the effect he was photographed in four different poses. Many thanks
ardyer

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals