Military uniforms

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Military uniforms

Postby Paulfinn7979 » 17 Aug 2017 12:43

Can anyone help identify these military uniforms and confirm dates of when these would have been in use. This is an old family photo that I know nothing about and would appreciate any information. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_9940.JPG
IMG_9940.JPG (89.24 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Paulfinn7979

Re: Military uniforms

Postby Frogsmile » 17 Aug 2017 16:35

The officer seated (the groom?) is a part-time Rifle Volunteer (forerunners of the Territorials) in one of many units to wear grey. The man stood behind him in the centre is an officer in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Stood adjacent in a frogged jacket is an officer of the Royal Horse Artillery and the officer at left rear is a subaltern in an infantry regiment with dark facings. I would date the wedding gathering to the turn of the Century between 1899 and 1902, probably at the time of the 2nd Anglo/Boer War. All the men are of majority age and yet none have medals, which helps to date the photo. There is a distinct family resemblance between all four of the men and especially between the RAMC and RHA officers, who I suspect are probably brothers.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals