Possible Royal Artillery Uniform

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Possible Royal Artillery Uniform

Postby theironduke1 » 29 Jul 2017 21:07

This is an interesting uniform. It appears to be Royal Artillery, but the caplines don't seem right. I'm not sure of the date from which the RA ORs wore the collar badge either. The cuff lace looks a wee bit too light for yellow (given the photographic oddities of the period) Could it possibly be yeomanry?
Attachments
(170720) RA Poss (s).jpg
(170720) RA Poss (s).jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 96 times
theironduke1

Re: Possible Royal Artillery Uniform

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Jul 2017 22:43

The RA other ranks began wearing their brass grenade collar badges in 1881 (in the same year RE WOs and SNCOs began wearing a grenade with rank badges, but unlike their officers not on the collar). The low profile collar and rounded front to the tunic is also typically pre 1881 and I would date the photo to around 1878. The cap lines relate to the full dress fur cap that was worn before the introduction of the blue universal helmet. I think he is a field artillery man in rather well worn tunic and overalls. Going by shading the tunic and trousers appear clearly to be the same hue, so I do not think that he is RE, who were also wearing fur caps at that time.

The way he is wearing the cap lines is commensurate with the RHA and I suspect that he might have crossed over to field artillery and retained the style he knew for the photo. I have not seen field artillery, when dismounted, using cap lines with their fur caps before. Cuff lace was white for artillery Militia and scarlet for artillery volunteers.
Attachments
RA fur cap - Copy.jpg
RA fur cap - Copy.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 31 times
RA.jpg
RA.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 31 times
v2_c7_s04_ss03_01.jpg
v2_c7_s04_ss03_01.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 31 times
RGA Vols.jpg
RGA Vols.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 31 times
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals