Button Stick markings

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Button Stick markings

Postby High Wood » 27 Jul 2017 15:06

I have two numbered brass button sticks in my collection that I am struggling to attribute to an individual soldier. I am wondering if their is any available documentation regarding the correct way for a Victorian soldier to mark his kit, that might help with the identification of the unit and the soldier.

Both button sticks are marked in exactly the same manner with an upper number, a set of three initials and a lower number, which makes me think that this was the prescribed way to mark equipment. The first has the number 149 above the letters RCM and has the number 77 beneath. I think that the soldier's number is the top one, 149. I had thought that the letters were the unit marking, but in neither case can I find a regiment whose title matches the letters. Therefore I think that the lower number represents the regimental number, i.e. 77th Regiment of Foot. This would make the button stick a pre 1881 issue. Both button sticks have the W, Broad Arrow, D mark.

The second button stick is marked: 306/NRM/78

Any thoughts on these markings would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Simon
High Wood

Re: Button Stick markings

Postby Frogsmile » 27 Jul 2017 16:59

Equipment marking protocol was laid down in the clothing regulations that were issued from time to time and the sequence was as you surmised. I suspect that both button sticks are pre-1881 and relate to the Northampton and Rutland Militia and the Royal Cornwall Militia. The last two digits are the year of issue.
All personal issue items were marked in this way: soldier's regimental number, official unit acronym, year of issue (this last to determine when replacement was due).
Marking methods were also laid down according to the colour and or material of the item concerned. For metal stamping each company had a die stamp set of numerals and letters in two sizes held by the colour sergeant.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 27 Jul 2017 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby High Wood » 27 Jul 2017 18:59

Thank you, that was just the information that I was looking for. I am very pleased that they are Militia button sticks but I wonder if the appropriate muster Rolls survive.
High Wood

Postby Frogsmile » 27 Jul 2017 21:11

High Wood wrote:Thank you, that was just the information that I was looking for. I am very pleased that they are Militia button sticks but I wonder if the appropriate muster Rolls survive.

Glad to help, Simon.

I am unsure about Cornwall, but Northampton has maintained good records and much of the Northamptonshire Regt collection is held by the County library.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals