Looking for a spike for a 1895 Colonial pith helmet

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Looking for a spike for a 1895 Colonial pith helmet

Postby fcoffman » 19 Mar 2017 04:45

I have a replica 1895 Colonial pith helmet. Does anyone know where I could obtain a helmet spike (brass or gold color preferably. Not the fancy sprawling kind, but the simple cup that covers the knob on top and a spike above. It seems that all outlets I can find deal only in bulk (10 or more) and I'm looking for a single item.
fcoffman

Re: Looking for a spike for a 1895 Colonial pith helmet

Postby fcoffman » 21 Mar 2017 17:21

I found a vendor that can sell individual pith helmet spikes and other military items:
http://www.themarchingbandshop.co.uk/pr ... ead-dress/
I know some others might be looking for a way to purchase a single spike. A bit pricey (unless you're in the UK) shipping to the USA is about the same price as the spike.
fcoffman

Re: Looking for a spike for a 1895 Colonial pith helmet

Postby RobD » 25 Mar 2017 16:07

Not sure if this outfit is still in business, or if you want a repro, but you could try:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thinr ... esses.html

Note, original spares do come up on ebay from time to time usually described as for the blue cloth (home service) helmet, and the brass fittings are the same as for the FS helmet. There were three basic spike bases for the FS helmet: a round dome with 3 vents; an acanthus base; a cruciform base. Some FS helmets had white metal (silver) fittings, and some brass. Not sure if this is a solid rule, but roughly it seems that the fittings often match the colour of the helmet plate.

Rob
RobD
Participating Member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals