Khaki Cork Helmet

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Khaki Cork Helmet

Postby AlexReece » 05 Mar 2017 11:58

Hello Fellow Members

I have added this cork helmet to my collection but it has no WD stampings to the inner only Fairlie.E C.P.R.C ? not sure if its British but it has four cork spacers each side ? I have also UV tested the helmet and no bright spots. I'm sure its genuine but no idea CPRC means ?

Any help most grateful, Regards Alex

DSC_0005 (574x700).jpg
DSC_0005 (574x700).jpg (306.88 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Last edited by AlexReece on 14 Mar 2017 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Re: Khaki Cork Helmet

Postby Mark A. Reid » 05 Mar 2017 15:05

Hello Alex;

Congratulations on acquiring this treasure! I would suggest that your helmet was used by a member of the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. A friend of mine has an interest in this Volunteer unit and I will ask him if the name E. Fairlie is familiar.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 05 Mar 2017 15:13

Mark A. Reid wrote:Hello Alex;

Congratulations on acquiring this treasure! I would suggest that your helmet was used by a member of the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. A friend of mine has an interest in this Volunteer unit and I will ask him if the name E. Fairlie is familiar.

Cheers,

Mark

Many thanks Mark for your help, Ceylon Planters ok.

Regards Alex
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 07 Mar 2017 11:10

Hello Fellow Members

Previously Mr Mark A Reid Suggested that this helmet might have belonged to the Ceylon Planters Riffle Corps, I have been trying to search for the name E Fairlie that's inked in the inner.

I have not had any luck so far, is there a web site that I could find more about the CPRC or even track this name down ?

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Albert J » 07 Mar 2017 11:22

Alex,

The shape of the helmet looks more French Colonial than British to me, perhaps that might be another avenue for you to research?

James
Albert J

Postby AlexReece » 07 Mar 2017 11:37

Albert J wrote:Alex,

The shape of the helmet looks more French Colonial than British to me, perhaps that might be another avenue for you to research?

James

Hello James

Yes I agree with you it has that colonial shape, gets me thinking about the CPRC if its Ceylon ? but do you think that the Ceylon could have used a Colonial pattern or did they just use British pattern sun helmets, Being that Ceylon was also British Colonial ?

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Albert J » 07 Mar 2017 12:07

AlexReece wrote:

James

Hello James

Yes I agree with you it has that colonial shape, gets me thinking about the CPRC if its Ceylon ? but do you think that the Ceylon could have used a Colonial pattern or did they just use British pattern sun helmets, Being that Ceylon was also British Colonial ?

Regards Alex

Alex,
I have no way to answer your question as it would only be an opinion based on a unit I no nothing about. I do believe the helmet is French though.
James
Albert J

Postby AlexReece » 07 Mar 2017 12:20

Albert J wrote:
AlexReece wrote:

James

Hello James

Regards Alex

Alex,
I have no way to answer your question as it would only be an opinion based on a unit I no nothing about. I do believe the helmet is French though.
James

Yes its one of those questions we probably could never answer ? really it all boils down to finding the name of that person as it seems a unique name Fairlie ?

So if the helmet is French and maybe CPRC connected I wonder if Ceylon had French imports back then and used this pattern ?
James I thank you for your input as always.

One more step closer :wink:
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 10 Mar 2017 14:09

Hello again;

My apologies for having taken so long to reply.

7531 Pte. Edward Fairlie was a member of the Second Ceylon Contingent for South Africa and therefore became a reinforcement for the Volunteer Company of the Gloucestershire Regiment that was formed by the CPRC. Young Edward appears to have only arrived in Ceylon c. 1899, although his family had been there for about a decade. He was actually born in Galston, Ayr and on his Attestation Form gave his next-of-kin as his uncle, " Colonel Fairlie, Rose Bank, Ayr. " This same form indicates that he was already a member of the CPRC and notes that his civilian occupation was ... " Planter. "

Following very short service in South Africa, Fairlie appears to have remained in Bloemfontein whilst most of his comrades returned to Ceylon. What became of him afterwards would require further research. If you are interested, my friend provided me with scans of Fairlie's Attestation Form as well as his sole entry in the 1899 Ceylon Directory so if you would like copies then please send me a private message with an email address and I will forward them this weekend.

Contemporary photos of the CPRC depict them wearing the standard British FS Helmet so I cannot explain why he had a seemingly French pattern. The CPRC was a very wealthy Volunteer regiment and had the full panoply of British-made equipage such as sabretaches, horse furniture, cross-belt plates, etc. so there were strong ties to The Mother Country.

Hope this has been of some interest.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 10 Mar 2017 16:37

Mark A. Reid wrote:Hello again;

My apologies for having taken so long to reply.

7531 Pte. Edward Fairlie was a member of the Second Ceylon Contingent for South Africa and therefore became a reinforcement for the Volunteer Company of the Gloucestershire Regiment that was formed by the CPRC. Young Edward appears to have only arrived in Ceylon c. 1899, although his family had been there for about a decade. He was actually born in Galston, Ayr and on his Attestation Form gave his next-of-kin as his uncle, " Colonel Fairlie, Rose Bank, Ayr. " This same form indicates that he was already a member of the CPRC and notes that his civilian occupation was ... " Planter. "

Following very short service in South Africa, Fairlie appears to have remained in Bloemfontein whilst most of his comrades returned to Ceylon. What became of him afterwards would require further research. If you are interested, my friend provided me with scans of Fairlie's Attestation Form as well as his sole entry in the 1899 Ceylon Directory so if you would like copies then please send me a private message with an email address and I will forward them this weekend.

Contemporary photos of the CPRC depict them wearing the standard British FS Helmet so I cannot explain why he had a seemingly French pattern. The CPRC was a very wealthy Volunteer regiment and had the full panoply of British-made equipage such as sabretaches, horse furniture, cross-belt plates, etc. so there were strong ties to The Mother Country.

Hope this has been of some interest.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark I'm speechless how can I thank you enough....wow just amazing :o

I've sent you PM thank you again.

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 10 Mar 2017 17:17

My pleasure, Alex. I just sent you an email with the images attached but if, for some reason, they don't arrive then just let me know and I will send them individually. Good luck with the research!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 10 Mar 2017 17:50

Mark A. Reid wrote:My pleasure, Alex. I just sent you an email with the images attached but if, for some reason, they don't arrive then just let me know and I will send them individually. Good luck with the research!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark thank you, a credit to this site.

Please also do thank your friend for me for helping also.

Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals