Uniform ID req'd, please.

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Uniform ID req'd, please.

Postby jackdempsey1919 » 27 Feb 2017 23:19

Hello,
I am trying to identify the uniform in the photo provided. I highly suspect that this is my great-great grandfather during his very brief stint in the Royal Artillery from 26th may 1899 to the 22nd of July 1899, after which his record says he was discharged on payment of £10.00. I don't know if this helps, but he would have been at Fort Rowner in Gosport.

I have family members who believe this may have actually been my great x3 grandfather born 1851, but as I have yet to find the army record for him I was wondering if something in the photo maybe stands out to an expert which would help date the picture.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anybody could point out the various colours the uniform should be that would be fantastic.

Thank you very much for your time.

Craig
Attachments
uniform.png
uniform.png (999.89 KiB) Viewed 123 times
jackdempsey1919

Re: Uniform ID req'd, please.

Postby Frogsmile » 27 Feb 2017 23:54

Yes he is Royal Garrison Artillery (formed as a separate entity in 1899) and dressed for walking out of barracks in an 'undress' (2nd best upper garment), dark blue, 5-button 'frock' (a loose fitting jacket). The simple trefoil knot on his cuff and around his collar is of yellow cord.
If you carry out a search in this section of the forum (top of page) using the term 'RGA' you should find several coloured images that I have posted in the past.
The RGA manned the coastal fortifications, like Fort Rowner, all around the key British and Irish ports and unlike the other two parts of the artillery (RFA and RHA) were dressed and equipped as dismounted soldiers. The guns for which they were trained were the largest, heaviest and with the greatest range as they were intended to engage invading warships far out to sea.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 28 Feb 2017 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jackdempsey1919 » 28 Feb 2017 00:10

Thank you so much Frogsmile for the fast reply and the information! So, just to confirm, I can safely assume that the date of this photo is no older than 1899? Did the soldiers have these photos taken upon completing 'basic training' or something?
Thank you again.

Craig.
jackdempsey1919

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Feb 2017 00:16

jackdempsey1919 wrote:Thank you so much Frogsmile for the fast reply and the information! So, just to confirm, I can safely assume that the date of this photo is no older than 1899? Did the soldiers have these photos taken upon completing 'basic training' or something?
Thank you again.

Craig.

The uniform is definitely from between 1899 and 1903 (broadly covering the 2nd Boer war), as after that date some items of uniform changed.
It was common for soldiers to have their portrait photo taken on completion of training yes, and invariably in walking out order of dress, which included white gloves and the swagger stick that you see tucked under his left arm. If you carry out the search as I said you will see many similar photos and some coloured images too.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 28 Feb 2017 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jackdempsey1919 » 28 Feb 2017 00:24

I am checking them out now. That is brilliant, thank you so much for answering my questions and for the awesome job you do on here.
jackdempsey1919

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Feb 2017 00:27

jackdempsey1919 wrote:I am checking them out now. That is brilliant, thank you so much for answering my questions and for the awesome job you do on here.

Glad to help Jack and welcome to the forum.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals