Monogram ID, please.

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Monogram ID, please.

Postby Darrow » 13 Feb 2017 22:18

Hi,
Can anyone ID this monogram that I found on a 1796 pattern sabre?
Many thanks in advance.
Regs
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.6 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Darrow

Re: Monogram ID, please.

Postby jf42 » 14 Feb 2017 01:42

It might 'simply' be a monograph of George III, of which there were many variants. Just a guess.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Georg ... 93&bih=755
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Feb 2017 10:54

It's not usual for a Royal monogram to appear without being surmounted by a crown and they normally only appear on the weapon itself, i.e. the blade. The same applies to any unit cypher.
In this case I think it is simply the monogram of the sword's owner marked on the scabbard so that he can identify his property when it is hanging up (unclipped from its slings) in the mess with those of his colleagues. It looks like GS, or perhaps GI.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Darrow » 14 Feb 2017 18:29

Hi,
Thank you both for your replies, I had hoped that this would have been a family monogram but such is life!
Another question I have is that this does appear to be an officers sword but it does have a plain blade, is this unusual?
Regs
Darrow

Postby acanthus » 14 Feb 2017 19:57

Looks like GS to me. The sling ring band looks like it could be an officers scabbard, and not impossible for the sword to plain; the hilt features may offer clues as to whether its and officers sword, or troopers.
acanthus

Postby Will Mathieson » 15 Feb 2017 05:56

Officers undress swords could have etching or be left without any. Seeing more photos of the sword would help.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Darrow » 21 Feb 2017 20:57

Hi,
Again thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I can't get anymore pictures at the moment. But I'm reasonbly sure that the hilts twist wire is silver. Also there are no inspection etc stamps on the blade, would not that suggest an officers blade?
Just another thought, a troopers sword wouldn't have a monogram on the hilt langet and scabbard would it?
Regs
Darrow

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Feb 2017 21:39

Darrow wrote:Hi,
Again thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I can't get anymore pictures at the moment. But I'm reasonbly sure that the hilts twist wire is silver. Also there are no inspection etc stamps on the blade, would not that suggest an officers blade?
Just another thought, a troopers sword wouldn't have a monogram on the hilt langet and scabbard would it?
Regs

No, I think it can be confidently said that an other rank's (OR's) sword would not have a cypher (at that time a "trooper" was an other rank's mount).
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals